1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 v6 trouble starting in warm weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Perot4prez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 v6 trouble starting in warm weather

I have an issue with my 1988 Dakota 5 speed having a hard time starting when the weather gets above 65°. From a coldstart it is fine but once it warms up sometimes you have to crank it for 15 to 20 seconds before it starts. Sometimes it won't start at all. It seems like it is flooding. But I am not sure how to remedy this issue. There are no codes that I can see. I did the Key turn code reading method and got A system normal code. The plugs And rotor and wires are all new also.I am wondering if there is something wrong with the injectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 04-24-2016, 01:29 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I'd be checking the fuel pressure - if it's over 14.5psi by much, it won't fire; also, if the regulator has a leak, it'll leak down and you won't fire.

Two more things to try:

1) Turn it on, wait four seconds, turn it off, on, four seconds, off, on, four seconds, off, try to start. This reprimes in case it's a lost prime due to leakage.

2) Since there's no Schrader valve on our fuel systems (I also own a 1988), you can't just clamp a fuel pressure gauge on it; but if you could T and check the pressure, that'd be a great idea.

3) If it IS the injectors, you can buy those for not really that much ($35 each at Motor Man, http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.co...17/4589594.htm ) and swap them.

4) Also, before swapping injectors, NOID those things (attach a NOID light and get it to "fail" so you can verify that the injectors are being fired).

I'll also ask, how long since the last time you changed the fuel filter? There's one attached to the frame, about the middle of the driver's door, to the inside; my 1988 has a Wix 33321 on it right now. Check that out also; it may be plugging when warm.

RwP

Old 04-27-2016, 12:20 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about the 88s but what kind of choke is on it? Could it be in warm weather, the choke is opening all the way and not allowing it to crank?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:07 PM
RalphP
Champion

The "choke" on the 1988 up was a throttle kicker (being throttle body injected) and the ECU cranking the fuel up a bit.

RwP

Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Perot4prez

Originally Posted by RalphP
The "choke" on the 1988 up was a throttle kicker (being throttle body injected) and the ECU cranking the fuel up a bit.

RwP
Sorry it's been a while since I've replied, I have now replaced both injectors the fuel filter the oxygen sensor the fuel pressure regulator are all plugs and wires cap and rotor and I'm still having the problem. There are still no codes. It seems as if it is trying to choke or as you said spray more fuel in the throttlebody when it is trying to start. What I mean is it seems to be flooded and that's why it won't start. What would cause the ecu to think that it is cold?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Perot4prez

Originally Posted by Perot4prez
Sorry it's been a while since I've replied, I have now replaced both injectors the fuel filter the oxygen sensor the fuel pressure regulator are all plugs and wires cap and rotor and I'm still having the problem. There are still no codes. It seems as if it is trying to choke or as you said spray more fuel in the throttlebody when it is trying to start. What I mean is it seems to be flooded and that's why it won't start. What would cause the ecu to think that it is cold?
I also wanted to add that once it starts after you crank it for two or three minutes it runs fine. It also starts right up if it is cold. It's only from a hot soak that it will not start.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:09 PM
RalphP
Champion

Try starting it with the pedal floored (Wide Open Throttle or WOT), see if that helps some.

I'd also check the auto shutdown relay (ASD relay; wires like a traditional Bosch style 4 or 5 prong relay) and make sure it's not having a hot-start problem.

RwP

Quick Reply: 88 v6 trouble starting in warm weather