1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 Dakota 5.2 V8 which flexplate is in here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:27 PM
mtthws
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dakota 5.2 V8 which flexplate is in here?

Many parts ago the transmission was rebuilt in my truck. It has not run right since . I have replaced the crank position sensor, cam position sensor, throttle position sensor, computer, plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, coil, O2 sensor, and anything else I could think of and it has a awful misfire. When it fires up cold it seems to run better than when it is warm. The old computer did not have any codes. It has not reved up one time cleanly since. The day I drove it to the place where the transmission was rebuilt I could've smoked the right rear tire all the way there.
My question is how can I tell if the correct flex plate is on the the truck without tearing it all the way apart? What is the difference between the V6 and V8 flex plates? There is that small access plate at the bottom. Is that enough to look through to see? Or could it be bent? I am at my wits end and need some good advice here. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:46 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The V6 flexplate looks like a cross....The 5.2 flexplate is round. The 5.9 flexplate looks like the 5.2 but has weights on it to balance the 5.9.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM
mtthws
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so if I have a round ring all the way around the outside diameter of the flex plate it is a V8. Using the process of elimination and my V6 parts truck has a round flex plate on it I am willing to bet the flex plate on my 5.2 resembles a cross. Thank you very much. I wish I had posted sooner.At least when I get her running she ought to run really nice. One last time the 3.9 does not have a ring all the way around the od right?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:59 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a cross, it is definitely a V6 flexplate....Around 92/93 the magnum V6's started getting round flex plates also. You can see a later V6 plate here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-93-94-95-...=mtr#vi-ilComp

Here's a 95 5.2L flexplate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-DODGE-...1WEZkv&vxp=mtr

It looks to me like after 92, the V6 and 5.2 flexplate are the same visually

But, as far as I know, all the flex plate does is mate the converter to crank...as long as it is neutrally balanced and the holes line up, it shouldn't cause a problem. Now if you have a weighted flexplate in there from a 5.9L then that will definitely throw your engine out of balance and cause vibrations.

Last edited by robertmee; 06-01-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 1995 Dakota 5.2 V8 which flexplate is in here?