1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

efi to carb swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:28 PM
BJ070799
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efi to carb swap

on my 93 dakota I'm wanting to swap out the throttle body for a 4bbl, I have the pressure regulator and the intake and carb, I'm just wondering if I'm gonna need a distributor? I already have msd ignition so am I all set or do I need a vacuum advance distributor?

Old 06-14-2016, 02:46 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You'll need SOME kind of advance, such as an older distributor - all Magnums use the ECU to handle advance. The sensor inside, AAMOF, is used for CAM position, and only peripherally has anything to do with CRANK position (that's handled by the crank position sensor.)

So, yeah, a new distributor.

Is the intake drilled for Magnum heads, or is it an LA intake? That'll make a difference also.

Any particular reason why you want to go backwards?

RwP

Old 06-14-2016, 03:09 PM
BJ070799

Originally Posted by RalphP
You'll need SOME kind of advance, such as an older distributor - all Magnums use the ECU to handle advance. The sensor inside, AAMOF, is used for CAM position, and only peripherally has anything to do with CRANK position (that's handled by the crank position sensor.)

So, yeah, a new distributor.

Is the intake drilled for Magnum heads, or is it an LA intake? That'll make a difference also.

Any particular reason why you want to go backwards?

RwP
the intake is for the magnum, but I want to go carb for the simplicity and because I'm making it a street truck, so after the distributor will should I be set other than some misc items? thanks

Old 06-14-2016, 05:50 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJ070799
the intake is for the magnum, but I want to go carb for the simplicity and because I'm making it a street truck, so after the distributor will should I be set other than some misc items? thanks
I'd recommend a skip white HEI GM style distributor...that's what I'm using in my swap. I'm putting a 2003 crate magnum 360 with edelbrock carb in my 90 vert. I completely got rid of the ecm, sensors, etc. I did keep the return style fuel system and used a holley 3 way regulator for the carb keeping the in tank pump. Also kept the charcoal cannister for emissions passing in my state. And a PCV setup. But other than that no other sensors except to drive the gauges.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:43 PM
Andrew Brough

Converting my Dakota to a carb right now, did you have to do anything to keep the fuel pump running?

Old 06-29-2019, 10:32 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Brough
Converting my Dakota to a carb right now, did you have to do anything to keep the fuel pump running?
3 year old thread. I did the same with my 91 d150. I had to run a ground from the frame/body to the fuel pump relay. It was grounded from the ecm. Dakota might be different though. But I still had to change the pump in the tank, it was to much for my return style regulator.

Quick Reply: efi to carb swap