1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 3.9 stumble off idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Michael McNeill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
Have you put a vacuum gauge on the manifold yet?
Finally got it off the trailer this morning. Vacuum gauge showed 20in when it first started (idles high for a couple of seconds) then drops down to just above 15in and holds there until it starts to die.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 PM
soundquest
Amateur

So what ever happened to this? Did you fix it? What did it end up being? Talk about a 2.5 year cliffhanger!

Old 01-19-2019, 04:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by soundquest
So what ever happened to this? Did you fix it? What did it end up being? Talk about a 2.5 year cliffhanger!
He hasn't been back since 8-15-16, so, don't expect an answer.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 PM
Michael McNeill

Originally Posted by HeyYou
He hasn't been back since 8-15-16, so, don't expect an answer.
Wow, yeah, I'd totally forgotten about this thread. IIRC it ended up being that the barb on the inside of the sending until, that the fuel pump pushes through, was cracked. It seemed fine while passing fuel through an open line into a bottle, but when under pressure it was spraying out inside the tank. I discovered after again lifting the bed and partially pulling the whole sending unit, had my wife turn the key while I watched and fuel went everywhere. I'd pulled the cap again and turned the key in earlier that day and could hear a whooshing sound inside the tank, which is what lead me to suspect that it was bypassing.

I ended up epoxying in a steel line through the sending unit and clamping inside and outside hoses. I think I drove it for about a year after that with zero further issues, ended up getting rid of the super duty and picking up an Avalanche, needed more room for kids in the back seat. Since the Av gets nearly the same mpg as I was getting with the old Dakota, I ended up selling it to a work aquaintance who is still happily driving it

Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael McNeill
Wow, yeah, I'd totally forgotten about this thread. IIRC it ended up being that the barb on the inside of the sending until, that the fuel pump pushes through, was cracked. It seemed fine while passing fuel through an open line into a bottle, but when under pressure it was spraying out inside the tank. I discovered after again lifting the bed and partially pulling the whole sending unit, had my wife turn the key while I watched and fuel went everywhere. I'd pulled the cap again and turned the key in earlier that day and could hear a whooshing sound inside the tank, which is what lead me to suspect that it was bypassing.

I ended up epoxying in a steel line through the sending unit and clamping inside and outside hoses. I think I drove it for about a year after that with zero further issues, ended up getting rid of the super duty and picking up an Avalanche, needed more room for kids in the back seat. Since the Av gets nearly the same mpg as I was getting with the old Dakota, I ended up selling it to a work aquaintance who is still happily driving it
Email notifications are a wonderful thing. Thanks for coming back with an update.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Michael McNeill

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Email notifications are a wonderful thing. Thanks for coming back with an update.
Indeed. Hopefully having the full story can help someone else in the future.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:16 PM
soundquest
Amateur

Nice! We have closure on this one now -- this is tremendously helpful! Glad you got it figured out -- talk about a low-odds problem; you had to do some real detective work on this one. Thanks for the closure.

Quick Reply: 88 3.9 stumble off idle