1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear Axle question - Noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:55 PM
jimmers07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle question - Noob

I have a 96 Dakota. 7.25 axle (octagon). I need to replace the left rear axle shaft. The shaft is bent. I know that the spline count is 25. Can I use the axle shaft from a 8.25 (oval) axle? I know that the 8.25 axle has a 27 spline count. This might be a silly question, but I'm just beginning to tinker on my truck. Logically, I don't think I can, but I don't know the exact mechanics of the gears to know for sure. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmers07
I have a 96 Dakota. 7.25 axle (octagon). I need to replace the left rear axle shaft. The shaft is bent. I know that the spline count is 25. Can I use the axle shaft from a 8.25 (oval) axle? I know that the 8.25 axle has a 27 spline count. This might be a silly question, but I'm just beginning to tinker on my truck. Logically, I don't think I can, but I don't know the exact mechanics of the gears to know for sure. Thanks!
Plenty of 8.25 in the junk yards...why not do a complete swap? The wheel spacing is an inch longer and you'll have to shorten the drive shaft but the rest is plug and play and you'll have a stronger rear end. If the spline count is different then it's not going to slide into the ring gear would be my guess.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:34 AM
jimmers07

Originally Posted by robertmee
Plenty of 8.25 in the junk yards...why not do a complete swap? The wheel spacing is an inch longer and you'll have to shorten the drive shaft but the rest is plug and play and you'll have a stronger rear end. If the spline count is different then it's not going to slide into the ring gear would be my guess.
Thanks. I'll look into doing a complete swap. Let the research begin!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:18 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If you pull the rear end out, if the donor still has the transmission, go ahead and pull the speedometer drive gear out of the transmission (it's where the VSS goes; for those with mechanical speedos, the speedo cable goes into the end of the VSS save for 1987, where a cable goes into the transmission and the VSS is up by the cruise control servo).

That way you'll have the right drive gear for your new rear ratio.

RwP

Old 07-14-2016, 10:13 PM
Thomas_kota
Rookie

No, you most definitely can not use an axle shaft from a 8.25 in your 7.25

Quick Reply: Rear Axle question - Noob