1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How do I turn on my '95 Dodge Dakota's headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Colton B.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I turn on my '95 Dodge Dakota's headlights?

The steering manual says "14- headlights" and points to the steering wheel but doesn't discuss how to turn it on! I need to drive at night tomorrow but I can't without my headlights, please help!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:17 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Umm ...

The headlight switch on the dash.

By the door, towards the bottom, round **** you pull out.

In the image below, at the left edge, about the middle (top to bottom) of the image, you see the round **** with the international "LIGHTS" emblem.

Pull that two clicks.

Now.

If you're asking how to toggle high and low beams, pull the turn signal lever back until it clicks, and let go.

Repeat to toggle the other way.

Image:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/0H01Y23tTww/hqdefault.jpg

RwP

Old 07-07-2016, 12:36 AM
Colton B.

Originally Posted by RalphP
In the image below, at the left edge, about the middle (top to bottom) of the image, you see the round **** with the international "LIGHTS" emblem.
http://prntscr.com/bpsmxm

The thing I have boxed around? Sorry, this is my first car/truck, and it's been in the shop so I couldn't mess with everything.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:46 AM
Colton B.

Another issue is that the lights in the truck turn off as soon as I close my door, any way to get them to turn back on? My uncle gave me the truck but didn't tell me anything about it...

Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 AM
RalphP
Champion

Yes, the thing you've got the box drawn about.

Also, to turn on the inside lights, turn that **** anti-clockwise until it clicks.

Be sure to turn it slightly back clockwise to turn OFF the inside dome light.

It turns further; that's the instrument panel dimmer (so that you don't have bright instrument panel lights in your face when driving at night).

When you pull the **** out, one click is the parking lights; the second click coming out is the headlights.

Hint: Everywhere I know of, it's illegal to be moving down the highway with the parking lights on and the headlights off. They're called "parking lights" for a good reason *grins*

Ebay usually has owner's manuals up for sale, if I were you, I'd be buying one and perusing it to see what other tricks and hints my truck had.

Such neat tips as "Don't set 4WD on if driving on pavement" *grins*

RwP

Old 07-07-2016, 08:52 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Holy crap, you have to rely on a public forum to tell you how to turn your headlights on? Is this for real or some troll post? For the love of trucks, please get an owners manual for your truck. IMO, if you don't know how to turn on the headlights of ANY vehicle, you probably don't need to be driving. What's next? How do I get my truck to stop? Where do I put gas? Does it need gas?

Are you even old enough to drive? Did you ever take a driving test or a class on how to operate a motor vehicle? I suggest you do before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Last edited by jkeaton; 07-07-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:49 AM
RalphP
Champion

I'll grant that he's probably a teenager.

However - there's a lot of adults that don't know (apparently!) how to turn their headlights on ... there's WAY too many that trust in the DRLs instead of headlights!

Plus, I have NO idea what they teach in Driver's Ed nowadays - back in the late 60's when I took my DE class, they included how to check oil, how to change a tire, how to do hand signals et al. From what I'm seeing on the streets, none of that is currently covered.

*ponders* It might not be a bad idea for someone to have a teenager go through Driver's Ed with something like a "spy cam" and an audio recorder, just so we know what that one student went through.

RwP

Old 07-07-2016, 11:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

You would think (hope) that there may be some other responsible driver he/she could ask basic questions like these instead of resulting to an online forum. I just find this really hard to fathom...In hindsight, I probably should have remained speechless. At any rate, that's what we are here for I guess.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:02 PM
RalphP
Champion

Hee!

I was ALMOST rendered speechless by the question.

(Did a double facepalm at it. No offense, Colton B., but that's up to "How to I start it?" level for us olde pharts.)

RwP

Old 07-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Colton B.

Yes, I am a teenager. I just turned 16. Other cars I have driven automatically turn the lights on, but this one didn't... I have the manual but the problem was it wasn't specific enough for me. In drivers ed they focus more on not hurting others on the road over how to keep yourself safe.. To learn how to get more fuel, check oil, more coolant, even how to change a tire, I had to ask my dad... sorry for being dumb, and thanks for the replies...

Quick Reply: How do I turn on my '95 Dodge Dakota's headlights?