1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

90 Column Shift linkage to Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 90 Column Shift linkage to Transmission

Anyone know where I can find one? I've checked all local J/Y's and the closest year is a 91. Pulled all the hardware, and while the lower linkage from the frame to the transmission is correct, the arm from the linkage to the column is way too long from a 91. I've checked ebay...even lokar doesn't make a cable for this. Ididit has one that may work although the reviews complain that the cable is way too long, and it's nearly $200!!

Reminder to never buy an incomplete vehicle again, sight unseen

TIA

Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

I found this, but it shows the 91 and 90 use the same rod....The picture looks like the rod I have in my hand. The picture in my FSM is different for the rod. Never easy.

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/s...roduct=6945795

Old 07-13-2016, 11:54 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The body and the transmissions were the same from 90 to 91, except for the elongated front on the 91, so it sure seems like what works on one would work on the other.

I was thinking of making a trip to the local pick-n-pull tomorrow (they're having a 50% off day), but I just checked the inventory and they currently have no 1st gen dakotas. Thought I could check there for you, but no, they have a sale and no trucks. Normally they'd have 3 or 4.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:24 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ragged89
The body and the transmissions were the same from 90 to 91, except for the elongated front on the 91, so it sure seems like what works on one would work on the other.

I was thinking of making a trip to the local pick-n-pull tomorrow (they're having a 50% off day), but I just checked the inventory and they currently have no 1st gen dakotas. Thought I could check there for you, but no, they have a sale and no trucks. Normally they'd have 3 or 4.
I know....And the part #'s are the same according to online sources. But the Online Pic looks like what I have in my hand from a'91. But the FSM I have for 90 shows a different picture (bends in the arm look different). However, all the lower linkage from the frame to the transmission from the '91 works perfectly in my 90. It just seems the shift collar that the arm connects to is much lower than where the '91 was. I remember pulling it from the junkyard, and it was a bit difficult to get to because it was behind the Master Cylinder. But on my 90, it's well below the MC. Is it possible that it's slide out of place on my 90?

Can anyone take a picture of the arm from the firewall side shift collar down to the transmission? It might be impossible to see with everything in the truck, but it would certainly help. I'll take a picture of mine to show you the misalignment.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

So here's some pictures. First picture shows how far away the linkage is from bottom pin to hole. I know the pin can be slid up some on the shaft, but where the bend/spring is, still does not allow it to mate up.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:12 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Next picture shows the bottom linkage to the tranny from the frame (haven't put in bushings yet, this is just for fitment), and the gear link arm I have from a '91.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:23 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

I found a picture online of what's in my FSM for a 90 and a picture of the FSM for 91. As you can see, the looped lower linkage is what I have from a 91, and the 90 is a different setup....So, even tho same engine/transmission, something changed.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:25 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

What's really strange is that my truck has the lower bracket from the 91 (#4 in the bottom picture)...And the two holes in the frame rail. It does not have the holes in the side of the frame rail as shown in the first picture. I swear I'm beginning to not trust FSMs from the 90s.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Wonder if I can just a straight transfer case rod and cut it to length

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-4x...9XdBaa&vxp=mtr

Old 07-14-2016, 12:53 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Wonder if I can just a straight transfer case rod and cut it to length

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-4x...9XdBaa&vxp=mtr
Or maybe cut a couple inches out of the straight portion of your long rod, then weld back together.

Quick Reply: 90 Column Shift linkage to Transmission