1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'91 Has a Bad Cough

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First if all, I'm not sure why the fuel filter gas been mentioned so many times. The fuel filter, sending unit, and regulator are all one unit on the fuel pump IN the tank. Pumps for these run around $200 plus dropping the tank etc.

Second of all, do NOT pay him $80 for a simple cap and rotor swap. If he's driving that far where he needs $50 in gas time to find someone more local. But as stated, no reason you shouldn't be able to do it yourself unless handicapped physically.

Thirdly, no reason to run premium in what I assume to be a 100% stock Dakota. Really just hurting the wallet on that. My 96 318 only ever gets 87 and gets better mpgs then most 3.9 Dakotas.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:54 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
First if all, I'm not sure why the fuel filter gas been mentioned so many times. The fuel filter, sending unit, and regulator are all one unit on the fuel pump IN the tank. Pumps for these run around $200 plus dropping the tank .
Not true. The fuel filter is on the inside of the frame rail underneath the truck...just in front of the rear abs control valve. At least it is on my 90 and 95...see no reason why a 91 would be different and rock auto lists the same filter for 87 to 96.

Also an entire fuel pump unit is only about $60....not $200.

Last edited by robertmee; 07-25-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:06 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Don't want to be argumentative but I bought a new pump at AZ and it was $145. That was the lowest quote I got. I broke the rollover vale and could not find a replacement so I opted for a used pump (gas still in it!) from a junkyard $65 and it works fine. I have not seen a secondary filter on my 94 Dakota Sport 3.9L along the rail. I may just be missing it. Also you can lift the bed much easier than you can drop the tank to have access to the pump. There are several YT vids of guys doing this.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 07-25-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Don't want to be argumentative but I bought a new pump at AZ and it was $145. I broke the rollover vale and could not find a replacement so I opted for a used pump (gas still in it!) from a junkyard $65 and it works fine. I have not seen a secondary filter on my 94 Dakota Sport 3.9L along the rail. I may just be missing it. Also you can lift the bed much easier than you can drop the tank to have access to the pump. There are several YT vids of guys doing this.
Location on a 92

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGmBOKzZkU

Rock auto has several pump assemblies in the 60 to 80 range. You can pay 150 for a denso if you want.

As for dropping tank I've done it both ways...lifting bed is definitely easier.

Last edited by robertmee; 07-25-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by robertmee
Not true. The fuel filter is on the inside of the frame rail underneath the truck...just in front of the rear abs control valve. At least it is on my 90 and 95...see no reason why a 91 would be different and rock auto lists the same filter for 87 to 96.

Also an entire fuel pump unit is only about $60....not $200.
For my 96 the pump was right around $200. As far as the fuel filter, I made a minor mistake, 94 on the filter is inside the tank. Your 95 has had one added at some time. Its not oem.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:41 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

For my 96 the pump was right around $200. As far as the fuel filter, I made a minor mistake, 94 on the filter is inside the tank. Your 95 has had one added at some time. Its not oem.
Could be....probably when dodge went to a return less fuel delivery. But on his 91 it's definitely on the frame rail.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by robertmee
Location on a 92

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGmBOKzZkU

Rock auto has several pump assemblies in the 60 to 80 range. You can pay 150 for a denso if you want.

As for dropping tank I've done it both ways...lifting bed is definitely easier.
All due respect, you know what they say, you get what you pay for. I'd never buy a cheap pump or any cheap part for my truck. One and done.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

All due respect, you know what they say, you get what you pay for. I'd never buy a cheap pump or any cheap part for my truck. One and done.
And with all due respect bravo for being in a financial position to do so. But many who are driving $500 dakotas as their sole means of transportation often don't have that luxury. When the op doesn't have $80 easily to fix a distributor I believe a $60 pump to get him back on the road is a more viable solution than going without because he can't afford $200.

Anyway back to the topic. Check your fuel filter on the frame rail. It's a $4 part and should be changed periodically.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

been enjoying the updates guys and yes, i am disabled and poor to boot....to the point where public transpo is looking more like a grim reality. At least the truck will crank and i been letting it idle and warm up every other day and been driving my 94 until my 'real' friend has time to fix the 91. Robert; do you know what i enjoy more than owning a $500 dakota? Answer: Owning TWO $500 dakotas LOL

I do appreciate all the input guys; will pass it along to my friend

Old 08-16-2016, 05:49 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

New Development; my buddy still has not come to help me. For a while, i'd drive the truck and it would run okay...today it won't run at all. i went out to start it up and let it idle a while and after a few minutes, it died....it easily restarted and i gunned it a couple times and the engine sounds great. It idled again for a bit and died and then it wouldn't start....an hour later i go out and start it up but it died immediately.....does this narrow things down?
When i turn the key, i do hear the fuel pump kick in.

thanks y'all

Last edited by KevinSandidge; 08-16-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: '91 Has a Bad Cough