1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Frame rust

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:14 PM
rabid_goat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Frame rust

My '88 sat outside for about 20 years, so as you can imagine there's some rust on it. There are two spots that I'm worried about in particular. On the A-Pillar there is a streak of rust, but it doesn't look like the "bubbly" rotting kind of rust. However, I'm wondering how to deal with it best and if it could pose a structural threat to the cab if it gets deeper. Also, the frame underneath the bed has some rust. Again, it is not the "bubbly" rotting kind of rust and it seems structurally sound when tapped with a ball peen hammer. In this case I think a wire brush and some metal enamel rattlecan will take care of it. These older cars with thicker metal can handle rust a lot better than Toyotas or modern cars. I am now storing my truck inside, so I don't think the rust will get too much worse. But, bodywork isn't really my thing so if I could be compromising my safety let me know. Thanks

Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Could you post pictures? From what you say and your location I doubt that anything your looking at is more than surface rust. I could show you some rust that'll blow you away.

Quick Reply: Frame rust