1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Nv3500 update

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:47 AM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
The trans I put in mine came with a dust cover/inspection plate, so it worked fine with the starter. If the plate you're using is from the AX-15 I guess there could be a slight difference in where they located the starter. As long as the nose of the starter goes through the hole and can engage the alignment hole in the bell housing, notching out the bolt holes shouldn't hurt anything.

I just noticed your NV3500 is a 4WD version. Did you put it in from under the truck, or thru the engine bay? I'm asking because I put mine in from the engine bay and looking at it now, it looks an awful tight squeeze if I were to try and pull it away from the motor and out from under the truck.
Okay I will update today when I try to bolt up the starter and see if it lines up.

And yes I pulled it out from underneath. It is a tight fit but it will come out that way. You have to unbolt the y pipe from the exhaust manifolds tho to get it to go through. And with the nv 3500 you have to jack up the side of the truck to fit it under the frame rail bc the bell housing does not come off. With a little bit of patience it can be done coming through the bottom. I don't have a tranny jack so me and one buddy have pulled it and reinstalled it by hand one of us on each side of it.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakota1996
Okay I will update today when I try to bolt up the starter and see if it lines up.

And yes I pulled it out from underneath. It is a tight fit but it will come out that way. You have to unbolt the y pipe from the exhaust manifolds tho to get it to go through. And with the nv 3500 you have to jack up the side of the truck to fit it under the frame rail bc the bell housing does not come off. With a little bit of patience it can be done coming through the bottom. I don't have a tranny jack so me and one buddy have pulled it and reinstalled it by hand one of us on each side of it.
That's been a big question in my mind, so thanks for that info. I assume you don't have a body lift on your truck either?

Old 10-20-2016, 10:58 AM
dakota1996
Professional

That's been a big question in my mind, so thanks for that info. I assume you don't have a body lift on your truck either?
No problem and no I don't have a body lift. I have a 31x10.5 tires though so when I jack up the side of the truck I don't have to go as high as some might have to.

I will tell you tho that the job Is much easier if u pull the transfer case first. It's alot more of a squeeze if you don't.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:10 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem and no I don't have a body lift. I have a 31x10.5 tires though so when I jack up the side of the truck I don't have to go as high as some might have to.

I will tell you tho that the job Is much easier if u pull the transfer case first. It's alot more of a squeeze if you don't.
Definitely agree on removing the t-case first. You and your buddy have to be pretty doggone strong to muscle that thing into place; I can't imagine trying it with the t-case attached. I'm close to 60 and usually work alone, so an engine lift and trans jack are my best friends when time comes to pulling engines and transmissions.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:25 PM
dakota1996
Professional

Definitely agree on removing the t-case first. You and your buddy have to be pretty doggone strong to muscle that thing into place; I can't imagine trying it with the t-case attached. I'm close to 60 and usually work alone, so an engine lift and trans jack are my best friends when time comes to pulling engines and transmissions.
Well we are both 20 so we can get it in there haha. Using the gym all the time may have something to do with it lol.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 AM
dakota1996
Professional

Okay guys everything thing is going pretty well on my nv3500 swap so far just waiting on my shifter pretty much. I installed the rear driveshaft now and honestly I don't believe that there is much if any difference in tranny length compared to where my tranny seal rides on the driveshaft. I will install front shaft tomorrow and see where it is at.

The tranny mount is no problem at all with the 96 model everything bolts right up just like the ax15.

Problems I have discovered:

First issue is that apparently the original plug on my truck for the back up light switch uses a female plug to plug into the backup switch whereas with the nv3500 you need to have a male plug to hook to the switch. If anybody knows of an adapter plug I can use let me know or else I'll have to cut on the wiring.

Second issue I have come across is that the bolts for the ax15 shifter will not hold down the nv3500 shifter because they are to big. Does anybody know the exact size bolt the nv3500 uses for its shifter?

These are the only issues I have encountered with this swap so far I will update how it does with the front shaft, and will update how it drives once I have my shifter. On a second note I talked to the companies builders (more than one person) I got the tranny from and they told me that I need to run a synthetic 5w30 name brand motor oil in the tranny so that's what I'm gonna do since it has a warranty and id say if they redesigned it they should know whats best to have in it.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:15 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you talking about the 4 bolts that hold the shifter to the transmission? If so, I think I have those and can measure for you.

If you are going to use a motor oil in your transmission, and want a synthetic, IMO Mobil one is as good as it gets. And its easiest to find in the stores.
The factory oil in a NV2500 is 10w30 motor oil. When the NV3500 came along, the manufacture, chrysler, and GM all recommended a synromesh oil and it was for a reason.
Your truck, your decision, but if it was mine, I would use what the manufacture recommends , and not some mechanic who rebuilt it.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:53 AM
dakota1996
Professional

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Are you talking about the 4 bolts that hold the shifter to the transmission? If so, I think I have those and can measure for you.

If you are going to use a motor oil in your transmission, and want a synthetic, IMO Mobil one is as good as it gets. And its easiest to find in the stores.
The factory oil in a NV2500 is 10w30 motor oil. When the NV3500 came along, the manufacture, chrysler, and GM all recommended a synromesh oil and it was for a reason.
Your truck, your decision, but if it was mine, I would use what the manufacture recommends , and not some mechanic who rebuilt it.
Yes the four bolts that hold the shifter is what I'm talking about.

And I normally would use a Synchromesh fluid in it but the bearings and synchros the people who rebuilt it are using they said are not the same as the manufacturer so I'm worried if I use the manufacturer fluid it will mess up the synchros and stuff. Or void warranty. So I'm kinda in a tough deciding place

Old 10-26-2016, 01:22 AM
dakota1996
Professional

This is what smart parts have on there website for the transmission I'm using and others as well. Can I get some opinions on this.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:27 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what smart parts have on there website for the transmission I'm using and others as well. Can I get some opinions on this.
Use whatever THEY tell you. Since its not a run of the mill nv3500 and its supposed to be there redesign use whatever they say.

Junkyard nv3500 run synchromesh stuff.

Quick Reply: Nv3500 update