1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Parking Brake issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 PM
brianb83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake issue?

I'm back with more seemingly basic questions! So after tearing through a few more junk vehicles at the wrecking yard and spending more time driving my truck around, I've figured a few things out! One of them being, my front drivers side brake rotor is in pretty bad condition, there's a deep score going around it, so I have to replace that. Another is the front brakes in general need to be fixed! They stick sometimes and it's almost like driving the thing under a heavy load. My main issue though that I can't find videos on though is that my parking brake doesn't work! I've followed the cable back and it seems a little tight so I hope it's not stuck on or anything. However, if I press it down it won't stay down. How do I go about fixing it?

As a little side note, this little truck has been impressing me lately, the 5.2L has more power than I expected lol.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you push the parking brake lever and it just springs back up then the problem is related to the ratcheting mechanism in the lever itself. Or am I misinterpreting what you mean?

5.2 L is a pretty gutsy motor for the time, for stock in a little truck.