1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

seat change

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:10 PM
93blueone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat change

I was reading in one of the dakota forums that jeep seats will fit with very minor mods . The thread didnt say what mods were needed . If anyone knows I would appreciate the info. I have looked and am unable to find the answer. The tread was also referring to installing SAAB seats also with no major issues. My Dakota s a 93 ext cab
Appreciate the help Thanks
the seats are
cherokee 96-01
WJ/ZJ 93-04

Old 01-15-2017, 07:29 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

REALLY? I have spent the day junking, one of the things that I was searching for is a driver seat that isn't covered by cigarette burns. I found one that would have been decent except that the truck had a buckled frame and when they set the truck on stands at the yard the cab buckled too and the door won't shut so the seat had a coating of ice on it. I found 2 '95s with gray bucket seats but some one beat me to both sets. I have a line on a set from a 97 (next gen) via Craigslist but I don't know whether they would bolt to my 96's tracks. So that leads me to wonder what else might bolt in. I'll be watching this thread to see what is said about alternative seats that will swap in.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:47 PM
93blueone

it is my belief that ANYTHING will bolt into ANYTHING given the expertise and parts . I have installed many parts into cars that dont belong there. The seats or seat tracks/sliders will install by drilling some new holes in the floor. Add some shims and level it up and one should be good to go.
I installed some Mercedes Benz S Class seats in my 55 TBird.
One tries to ease the install process by "adapting" seats to car brackets. That way holes are not needed. But thats not always possible.So, we figure it out. I just need to know what will fit (or come close) and Ill take it from there.
My seats are manual so no electronic issues. I may just install them in the position best for me and leave it alone.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:54 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

Yeah I know that they could be "made" to fit but it depends on just how much one wants to do to fit them in. Considering the studs that protrude from the floor pan, I am not wanting to do much more than to swap tracks. I wouldn't be against making some kind of tabs to adapt the 97 seats to the 96 tracks and floor pan bolt pattern if need be but that would be about it, otherwise I will keep looking.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 AM
93blueone

I guess I was spoiled in my youth. I was raised a Ford Man. Back in the day Ford parts interchanged among all model lines. In the 90s it was easy to change parts with different models because of the frames used were from exixting models. I have always had a Ford truck. I ran out of need for a truck and sold it a long time ago. Unfortunately I got old and working on vehicles became difficult . I could and still do minor things. But I have a son and he helps me most of the time.
I bought this Dakota because it seemed like a good deal. I just need a truck for a few months and this one was available. Its in pretty good shape and was cheap. But having the truck isnt as good as I had expected. The truck reminds me of Mercedes Benz autos. The cars and their parts are specific to their own model brand. Electronics , switches , relays, and a host of other things wont work on other models. The truck is just like that. Six lug wheels(?), seats specific to only the truck, door panels, etc. make it difficult to upgrade the things. Parts are hard to find making it hard to do changes. I slept on my issue last night and have decided to use the truck for the purpose I bought it doing nothing to it and then getting rid of it. And if I ever need a truck again Ill stick to what I know and get a Ford.
Now before you guys fly off the handle. I am NOT knocking the Dodge . Its a GOOD truck. Runs and drives fine. Everything works on the truck. No complaints. Its just not what I was expecting for down the road. So Ill leave it stock and about March Ill sell it. Sorry to bother you guys . Good luck with your trucks.

Last edited by 93blueone; 01-16-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:38 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I get it these are started at the end of the 80's when Detroit went insane and got into financing and making replacement parts veh specific instead of choosing to make better cars. This guy is closer to you than me. http://protruckseats.com/index.php/seats.html I have seen many people in other forums talk about seat interchangeability with cars you would not expect to cross match. Sorry IDK them. Keep looking I have seen more than one thread about a different vehicle seats direct fitting the Dakota or fitting with minimal or at least easy fitting work.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 01-16-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Heh.

Back when the same seat fit all Fords, all Fords used the same chassis.

But a Continental bench seat would never fit a Falcon, for instance.

Yes, there's a bunch of one-off parts in the Dakota. It was a bit of a one-off vehicle when introduced.

There's also a lot of parts bin parts; such as the upper ball joints (used on the big Mopars since about 1962 - the 1962 Imperial to be specific!) to use just one point.

I bet even the tracks are off another Mopar.

Part of the problem is also that Mopar was long known for mix and match parts.

"OK. You need new rear axle bearings. Which body? Which axle? Is the current seal blue or red? Was it assembled by Juan wearing the plaid shirt, or Shamus wearing the blue shirt?" kind of deal *grins*

RwP

Old 01-16-2017, 12:33 PM
93blueone

When some Ford part didnt fit there was information on how to make it fit. Continental bucket seats will barely fit in a Falcon, contact Carlise Johnson in NEWTON NC. People shared the info or contacted someone who knew how to do it.
It seems that 1st Gen are outcasts and unique to themselves. LMC doesnt even have parts for them. As many times as one wanted to change a part I just find it odd that no one knows how to make parts fit or shows how to make them fit.
Not having info on a make of vehicle leads one away from that vehicle. Just kinda crazy. So I will drive as is then part ways when finished.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:39 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 93blueone
When some Ford part didnt fit there was information on how to make it fit. Continental bucket seats will barely fit in a Falcon, contact Carlise Johnson in NEWTON NC. People shared the info or contacted someone who knew how to do it.
It seems that 1st Gen are outcasts and unique to themselves. LMC doesnt even have parts for them. As many times as one wanted to change a part I just find it odd that no one knows how to make parts fit or shows how to make them fit.
Not having info on a make of vehicle leads one away from that vehicle. Just kinda crazy. So I will drive as is then part ways when finished.
I have the best luck finding parts and info from dealers in Texas for my 94Dak and my Ram50. I expect these trucks are well suited to the place. EDIT- it always turns out that I find out they are in Texas after I call or email a lot of places its not that I just look up Texas dealers.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 01-16-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:55 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

There is alot more interchange on these than you guys know. and alot more than the Hollander salvage books will give them credit for. on alot of the underhood stuff I am finding alot of similarity among sensors and such between my Dakotas and my Jeeps that I have had over the years....

I have not seen this article in a while but I do faintly remember a swap to Omni/Daytona bucket seats into a Dakota being posted in one of the old Mopar magazines back when I used to get them. not like there are many of those around these days to harvest a set from though.....