1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Has no power now after starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Problem_child
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has no power now after starter replacement

1996 dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4

Well I'm new an need some help since nobody seems to know what's wrong and I can't afford a mechanic.

I was replacing my starter (positive cable disconnected on battery) and replaced it same as the original one was wires and all and when we hooking the battery up it sparked and lost all power to my cab and everything. I checked everything every fuse rely etc that i knew about. It makes no sense to me.

Could the starter just not be grounded enough?
Is it bad? Was bought as a repaired one. (Fried my battery too by the way I'm pretty sure.).

What did I do wrong? The wires on the starter are even fool proof being different sizes.

Any ideas what blew? I can't be the only one it's happened to....

Thanks in advance I'd appreciate it so much since its my daily driver, I've searched and searched online for answers. This is probably my last hope.

Last edited by Problem_child; 01-26-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 371 Likes on 342 Posts

First off, I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Factory Service Manual; there may be a download here, maybe one at one of the other forums, or you can pick one up from Ebay.

And *ahem* NEVER EVER disconnect the POSITIVE cable FIRST.

You ALWAYS disconnect the NEGATIVE cable to isolate the battery; then the positive if you wish or need to.

But I'd check Fuse C in the Power Distribution Block, or even Fuse B.

RwP

Old 01-26-2017, 01:03 AM
Problem_child

Originally Posted by RalphP
First off, I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Factory Service Manual; there may be a download here, maybe one at one of the other forums, or you can pick one up from Ebay.

And *ahem* NEVER EVER disconnect the POSITIVE cable FIRST.

You ALWAYS disconnect the NEGATIVE cable to isolate the battery; then the positive if you wish or need to.

But I'd check Fuse C in the Power Distribution Block, or even Fuse B.

RwP

Thanks I'll recheck for those fuses and I did buy a chilins manual for it so I'll dig deeper I guess.

I also know to do the negstive goes last but I had a helper an he's the one that did it an I didn't think about it to be honest.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:10 AM
RalphP
Champion

No, no, no.

Factory Service Manual.

Repeat after me:

Factory.

Service.

Manual.

The Chilton's and Haynes are about useless for any real wiring problems.

RwP

Old 01-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Problem_child
Unhappy

No, no, no.

Factory Service Manual.

Repeat after me:

Factory.

Service.

Manual.

The Chilton's and Haynes are about useless for any real wiring problems.

RwP
Ahhhhh gotcha I''ll see what i can find. Gotta be something simple, just don't want to repull the starter because it's a pain an Im in northern Michigan and working in a snow bank SUCKS! Good Florida rust free truck tho so I'm gonna get it going one way or another or else the craigslist crows get her for a thousand, I'm about over it.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Problem_child

So ive checked every fuse and it's good. But none of the the relays seem to even get power. I'm just afraid it'll ruin another battery because it seemed to make this one go dead instantly and won't hold a charge anymore. What would this indicate? Other than a bad battery now of course. I did do some sort of test tho, I took just the starter wire and my handy portable jumperbox and when hooked up usually has a green light, well this wire has no green light while the other 2 do.

I just don't get it because it should be grounded good through the lower stud since 2 red cables go to the top for power I'd assume but why 2? Is one a ground? 96 v8 Dakota

Thanks

Old 01-26-2017, 03:56 PM
RalphP
Champion

Umm ... If you connect a ground wire to a power wire, do you know what happens?

You just THINK you got a spark from connecting the positive cable ...

It's time to triple check ALL fittings.

So, do you have a test light or multi meter? If not, you'll need that first.

And may I suggest that you do not - repeat, DO NOT - touch ANY wiring until you obtain the proper diagrams?

A question like that makes me doubt how good your logical thinking is, and your background in electricity / mechanics. I'd even MORE highly recommend thinking three times before you touch anything.

With that said - you haven't yet taken the battery to get it checked?

Do that FIRST. Make sure that it wasn't killed.

Second, with the battery out, trace the power cables down to the starter, and the ground cable to the block of the motor. Make sure that there's not any resistance in the line.

RwP

Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 AM
Problem_child

Umm ... If you connect a ground wire to a power wire, do you know what happens?

You just THINK you got a spark from connecting the positive cable ...

It's time to triple check ALL fittings.

So, do you have a test light or multi meter? If not, you'll need that first.

And may I suggest that you do not - repeat, DO NOT - touch ANY wiring until you obtain the proper diagrams?

A question like that makes me doubt how good your logical thinking is, and your background in electricity / mechanics. I'd even MORE highly recommend thinking three times before you touch anything.

With that said - you haven't yet taken the battery to get it checked?

Do that FIRST. Make sure that it wasn't killed.

Second, with the battery out, trace the power cables down to the starter, and the ground cable to the block of the motor. Make sure that there's not any resistance in the line.

RwP
Obviously I'm not a mechanic or I wouldn't be here asking questions. I do have a multi meter and have had a more knowledgable person run tests and have tested the battery...like I said it won't even hold a charge and I've hooked up another good battery and still had nothing. Hence why I'm here scratching my head wondering why the heck I even bought this pile of crap.

I just wanted to know if maybe someone would have a straight answer but I guess not so never mind I even asked, if I had the extra money id just have it fixed for me but I don't so I came here.

Last dodge I ever touch.... Should of kept the Ford haha
Oh well live an learn I guess

Thanks anyways

Old 01-27-2017, 02:00 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

You were given help, we can't hold your hand, all you had to do was read a manual. If it was too hard then you would at least be able to describe what you got stuck on and you'd get more help. I'm guessing someone is going to get a nice Dak for cheap. Good luck

Old 01-27-2017, 06:29 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

If the battery is over 3 years old it may be toast anyway. if it is shorted internally or sulfated it WON'T take a charge. Stick a known-good battery in and try again see what happens. then I'd be looking at "the" splice that these trucks are known for having trouble with, next.