1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No heat in my 96 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Kota.nasty.99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No heat in my 96 dakota

I haven't had any heat in my truck and with this cold weather I really need to get it fixed. It blows air, but it isn't warm at all. Any suggestions?

Old 01-28-2017, 06:16 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Plugged heater core.

Reverse flush first, and see if that helps any.

RwP

Old 02-03-2017, 01:26 AM
biggman100
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Plugged heater core.

Reverse flush first, and see if that helps any.

RwP
Ralph, not to seem like im stepping on any toes here, but if it has gotten to the point where it doesnt even get warm, reverse flushing will very likely not work. I know, because i had that issue on all 3 of my trucks last year. Another thing to check though, since i cant remember which ones did and didnt have them, is to look in the heater lines for either a mechanical or vacuum actuated shut off. They shut off the heat when you use the A/C, and are known to stick closed.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by biggman100
Ralph, not to seem like im stepping on any toes here, but if it has gotten to the point where it doesnt even get warm, reverse flushing will very likely not work. I know, because i had that issue on all 3 of my trucks last year. Another thing to check though, since i cant remember which ones did and didnt have them, is to look in the heater lines for either a mechanical or vacuum actuated shut off. They shut off the heat when you use the A/C, and are known to stick closed.
If the reverse flush works, then the OP has a cure.

If it DOESN'T, the OP has expended about $0 and a bit of time.

It's always a good first shot for a non-leaking cold heater.

And *ahem* IMPE, a reverse flush followed by a flush followed by another reverse flush has worked 100% of the time. YMMV, natch.

RwP

Old 02-03-2017, 02:01 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's assuming it hasn't been bypassed Last three trucks I've bought (2 Daks, 1 GMC), previous owners had bypassed a leaking core. I broke down and replaced the one in my '90. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.