1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Timing Cover Bolts Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:46 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Cover Bolts Pattern

Hello Guys, So I was a bit dumb and I have been rebuilding my engine and I left the bolts outside in the the weather it it has damaged all of my labeling for their placement.

I am wondering if anyone remembers which bolts go where for the timing cover, btw the water ump has also been removed.

Thanks,

P.S I have looked into the dakota service manuals and they do not give any indications which bolt goes where.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:10 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

I didn't find anything that described which bolt length went into which hole in my FSM. I would start with the sorting the bolts by size. Then starting with the shortest one try to insert them looking for the holes they do not fit in. That is you insert them and they do not catch any thread. Then mark each one of the holes the short bolt would not start in. Then go to the next size up and try them on those holes the short ones did not start in and mark the ones they can't start in and so on until you have found out which are the deepest holes and which bolts fit them. I think I recall that there are 3 different sizes for the bolts that secure the WP and Timing cover on my 94. It's a start anyway It may not work 100%

Old 02-07-2017, 06:18 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might help if you tell us what year and what engine. Not sure if you have 3.9 5.2 5.9 LA or magnum. But YouTube has several videos

https://youtu.be/AEvpfwf3fJs

https://youtu.be/16Oav9lcS-8

Last edited by robertmee; 02-07-2017 at 07:46 PM.