1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck stalls on restart issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 PM
93blueone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalls on restart issue

Have a 93 Dakota LE. Around first of the year it began to stall when starting. Then when restarting. I came online and began to read threads about the same issue I had. Seems like there was a mountain of possibilities for the fix. It boiled down to the sensors on the throttle body as most likely suspect. I looked at videos and decided to give it a go and this is what I came up with.
Now this truck had been sitting for a long time and the previous owner got it running and I bought it . I dont know what was done to get it on the road other than plugs and wires. So, this is what I started off with.
I bought all new parts MAP,Idle Air, and TPS. I also bought a reconditioned throttle body as the one on the truck was in sad shape. I thought it would be better to get a new one.
Today I started the process to change the parts. Fairly easy to do . I got to the MAP sensor and it was the wrong one. I was sent an AS26T . I need an AS51T or AS57T. I had no choice but to put the old one back on.
After putting everything back together I cranked it up and it seemed ok. I took off down the road and I was in for the ride of my life. As soon as I put it in gear it lurched forward idling around 1100 RPM . I took off up the road and it shifted ok bt when slowing down I could tell it wasnt right. It idles at about 900 RPM. Until its in park then it goes to 2000. Since there are no adjustments to make that I know of , is this because or could cause the high idle by the original map sensor?
Also when driving it seems to drag out its shifts .
I have contacted the store where I got the MAP and asked for a replace ment or refund.
Waiting on that for now.
Will unplugging the sensors one at a time have any possible effect on the high idle ?
Should I replace the thing with the original parts and start over? Or should I replace one part at a time and see what develops?
I have no idea on what to do and what not to do . I am not familiar with a throttle body set up and so I am almost lost.
The original throttle body is so heavily coated with junk its black. It could use a good cleaning which I may do.
I need some assistance and guidance on what to do next. Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks
Earl

Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Sounds like a bugger. There is an adjustment but its blocked off with a plug as the computer is supposed to handle idle. The IAC which is the sensor at the back of the throttle body could be dirty. But if the whole Throttle body is black it all probably needs cleaned.
The other thing is that there is a tiny rubber elbow under the MAP sensor on my 94 3.9 Dak that connects it to the throttle body so it can suck air through it and I had to save it when I replaced the sensor since they do not send a new one with it. Maybe that is not there?
It could also be a vacuum leak. You can find videos on YT for checking vacuum leaks.
Something is telling the computer to idle up I just can't think of anything else right now.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM
93blueone

I bought new parts for the truck. MAP, IAC, TPS and a polished throttle body. So everything is new except for the MAP . I was sent the wrong one. Today while messing with truck I found the plastic vacuum line coming from the TB broken . I replaced it with a longer rubber line. Tomorrow I am going to trace the line to the vacuum canister and replace the whole thing. No telling if it broke or not. Better safe than sorry. If I cant get it working right Ill just switch everything back to the way it was and see what happens.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:52 AM
93blueone

Apparently the NEW TPS was defective. I re-installed the old one and it runs fine now.
Caution Be sure your replacement parts arent Chinese junk parts. Mine was made in China and sold in US as OEM. Thanks for input with this. Im off to the parts store for a chat with them