1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 03:18 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Well the other brake cylinder gave lose today....but it may be a blessing in disguise. I noticed that the MC both chambers emptied when the fluid was going out the busted rear cylinder. That shouldn't happen should it...I thought the reason for two cylinders were so youd isolate front and back in case one failed. So if the MC emptied both resevoirs does that point to a bad proportioning valve?
The two resevoirs on the MC aren't completely isolated from one another. There's a slit in the wall between them that allows fluid to flow from one to the other, until fluid level drops below the slit. I learned this when I installed a new MC and removed the resevoir to clean it out. So yes, it is normal to see fluid drop in both chambers, up to a point.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:16 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ragged89
The two resevoirs on the MC aren't completely isolated from one another. There's a slit in the wall between them that allows fluid to flow from one to the other, until fluid level drops below the slit. I learned this when I installed a new MC and removed the resevoir to clean it out. So yes, it is normal to see fluid drop in both chambers, up to a point.
Yeah, I learned that afterwards....was at a car show today and we had a spirited discussion about it...GM guys swore that there was supposed to be a full divider in there mandated by the FEDs...then the Mopar guys came up and said the same as you.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:21 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by robertmee
Yeah, I learned that afterwards....was at a car show today and we had a spirited discussion about it...GM guys swore that there was supposed to be a full divider in there mandated by the FEDs...then the Mopar guys came up and said the same as you.
So, we can put this issue to rest...I have brakes!!

Moral of story, double check your own work and the work of others. I'm embarrassed to say that the issue was that the lines from the MC were swapped front to rear on the proportional valve. For all those threads that say it doesn't make a difference, it does....When I took the truck to a "pro" shop because I was fed up with it, I even asked, can you verify that I plumbed the MC to the valve correctly. They said I had. Nope. I bought a new prop valve as a last ditch effort, and before I put it on today, I started tracing the lines again. Sure enough the primary port (closest to the firewall) was plumbed to the rear of the prop valve. Swapped the lines at the MC, and without even bleeding, voila, I have brakes. They are the least bit spongy due to swapping the lines, so going to bleed the four points one last time, but the front end of the truck is now finally dipping down on brake application...before I never had any fronts.

So as embarrassing as it is to admit my mistake and not following up on the "pro" shop myself, hopefully this will save maybe one person in the future.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:14 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

I am SO glad I don't have drums to worry about anymore. Best thing I ever did on my 96. 11" discs are GREAT!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:36 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you got it all figured out!

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
I am SO glad I don't have drums to worry about anymore. Best thing I ever did on my 96. 11" discs are GREAT!
Sure but that doesn't have anything to do with mixing up the brake lines.