1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 dakota - bad gas not running good when warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:55 PM
bspring
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 dakota - bad gas not running good when warm

Boyfriend put bad gas in our 92 dakota. It was running fine before. At first it would not run. He drained the tank, changed spark plugs, bashed out catilitic converter, unhooked muffler and unpluged the oxygen sensor. It will start fine when cold and will run about 2 miles tops. Today he unhooked the lesser fuel injector. Ran just the same, must keep rpms at 2k, after about a mile and a half it will hop and die (the battery is a wonder). Any thing else to do, or a certian order to do it? I was looking here at something about an ignition coil? It is a V6 3.9L 5 speed.

Old 11-24-2005, 04:41 AM
360DakotaPwr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 92 dakota - bad gas not running good when warm

My experience Ive seen a coil to usually be either good or bad, not really in between, but there are some rare cases. The unpluged O2 senser will definately make it run weird. Check your fuel pressure. It should be 35 PSI for 1992. Clean your throttle body, carbon deposits build up where the idle speed motor meets the throttle body housing and where the flappers are looking down through the top. When you take off your throttle body, hold it up to the light, you should be able to see light inbetween the flappers and the housing, but it will only be a little bit. Your idling is controlled by the idle speed motor. Ive had experience with the idle speed motor causing it to run rough on my 92. Lastly, block off the egr port on the intake and plug the vacume holes on the solenoid, but leave it plugged up. It will run SO much better without the egr. Your truck will run like crap if it gets stuck open.

Quick Reply: 92 dakota - bad gas not running good when warm