1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 sport cab 8ft box Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Jonrabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 92 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 sport cab 8ft box Issues

I just bought a beat up 92 dak for $300, Problems with it are as follows, Drivers side brake light doesn't work bulb is fine, A/C doesn't work but i believe i just need a new heater/A/c control unit, A/C and heat is stuck on Feet and defrost, Speedometer doesn't work although i'm not sure if it's the dash cluster because it's a manual and someone put an auto cluster in, and the gas gauge doesn't work, It bobs up slightly when i go up or down hills or hit a bump

Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonrabe
I just bought a beat up 92 dak for $300, Problems with it are as follows, Drivers side brake light doesn't work bulb is fine, A/C doesn't work but i believe i just need a new heater/A/c control unit, A/C and heat is stuck on Feet and defrost, Speedometer doesn't work although i'm not sure if it's the dash cluster because it's a manual and someone put an auto cluster in, and the gas gauge doesn't work, It bobs up slightly when i go up or down hills or hit a bump
Driver's side brake light ... does the turn signal work? If so, then it's most likely the turn signal switch. If, however, it doesn't work EITHER, then it's time to check the wiring from the turn signal switch to the rear turn signal.

Before you do much of ANYTHING, I'd HIGHLY recommend picking up a Factory Service Manual - either download from the FAQs here, or buy one from Ebay.

A?C - that's because there's no vacuum to drive the vacuum valves, I bet. Try checking the run from the brake booster to the cab. If there isn't one, that's your problem.

The speedometer in a 1992 is mechanical; time to check the cable from the transmission into the cab. The HOUSING might not be available, but if it's there, then you can replace the actual drive cable ( http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1066...origin=keyword )

For the gas gauge - does it not work at ALL, or is it just bobbing up and down while it overall trends? There's actually nothing in the circuit to dampen the movement of the gauge, and as you go up and down hills and hit bumps, the gasoline in the tank WILL go up and down at the float point.

RwP

Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I had the gas gauge problem which seems common but has many causes. In my case the fuel pump was replaced and put in with the float facing the wrong way. The float arm should point to the front of the truck. I ended up putting in a good used pump from a V8. If you are going to change out be VERY careful of the rollover valve as you have to move it from the old to the new. There is a fix on here somewhere for if you break it since they do not make them any longer.