1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Looking at another dakota, lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
The 2wd shocks mount with two bolts to the lower control arm with a bracket in the lower bushing. The 4wd shocks mount with a single large bolt. I also assume the 4wd shocks are a fair bit longer but not sure.

The bilstein 4600 are discontinued for the 4x4 unfortunately. I searched far and wide but ended up going with KYB gas-a-just.
Is 2nd gen dakota stuff interchangeable?

Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Sales blurb:

I have a full set of bran'new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks for a 4WD that I bought accidently for my 2WD truck.

I have them on Ebay and here; I can ship slow boat USA for $120 for the full set.

(Mods: If this is wrong, feel free to delete and slap me on the wrist in a PM. I would just LOVE for them to go to a good home, though!)

RwP

Old 07-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Sales blurb:

I have a full set of bran'new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks for a 4WD that I bought accidently for my 2WD truck.

I have them on Ebay and here; I can ship slow boat USA for $120 for the full set.

(Mods: If this is wrong, feel free to delete and slap me on the wrist in a PM. I would just LOVE for them to go to a good home, though!)

RwP
I acutally have a full set of shocks for a 2wd dak. They are just monroe stuff though. I'll consider it, but I might try to track down some billys since I have them on my other cars and love them.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Cash68
I acutally have a full set of shocks for a 2wd dak. They are just monroe stuff though. I'll consider it, but I might try to track down some billys since I have them on my other cars and love them.
I've already bought some Gas-A-Justs 2WD for my 1988 2WD; I just bought these and let them sit while they were on sale (which sale price is very close to today's everyday price, natch. Le sigh.)

And they're brand new, never used, only two unboxed (one front one rear) to verify they weren't the 2WD variants.

TBugden - if Cash68 doesn't want them, you want the rear ones still?

RwP

Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
I've already bought some Gas-A-Justs 2WD for my 1988 2WD; I just bought these and let them sit while they were on sale (which sale price is very close to today's everyday price, natch. Le sigh.)

And they're brand new, never used, only two unboxed (one front one rear) to verify they weren't the 2WD variants.

TBugden - if Cash68 doesn't want them, you want the rear ones still?

RwP
Thanks Ralph but I got gas-a-justs on all corners now.

Cash, can't say if the 2nd Gen shocks will fit, sorry.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:14 PM
RalphP
Champion

Is 2nd gen dakota stuff interchangeable?
They list different part numbers, but don't ask me what's different; although perusing the specs after pulling the part numbers out of, say, RockAuto may be instructive.

RwP

Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Monroe had several different shocks for these trucks; gas magnum, sensa trac, Reflex, standard cheap grade Monroe "blue" etc... all Monroe all for an 87-96 Dakota 2wd. BIIIGGGG difference between them.
I had Gas a Just on my 93 and hated them.... too weak. I went to Gabriel Ultra and loved them, have Gabriel Ultras on my 92 2wd and my 96 4wd....
found them CHEAP on Amazon for one end of truck and EPay for other end of truck just gotta look around.... Useless Zone gets $36/each for the Ultras I got mine for $20/ea and free shipping.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:58 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
Monroe had several different shocks for these trucks; gas magnum, sensa trac, Reflex, standard cheap grade Monroe "blue" etc... all Monroe all for an 87-96 Dakota 2wd. BIIIGGGG difference between them.
I had Gas a Just on my 93 and hated them.... too weak. I went to Gabriel Ultra and loved them, have Gabriel Ultras on my 92 2wd and my 96 4wd....
found them CHEAP on Amazon for one end of truck and EPay for other end of truck just gotta look around.... Useless Zone gets $36/each for the Ultras I got mine for $20/ea and free shipping.
Interesting bout the gas a justs being weak. Hadn't really thought that but now that you mention it I think I know what you mean. Maybe I'll try the Gabriels up front if they're that cheap...at some point...really ain't got even $40 I can spare at this time.