1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:16 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Stereo

Options?

93, I saw your old thread from 2015. Did you end up using the ground converter or new wires? The verts just have the speakers in the door (2 sets), right? Are they wired in parallel as I only see one speaker wire pair from the cab through the door. Also did you confirm 2 or 4 ohm?

I assume the hole is standard 1.5 din?

Last edited by robertmee; 07-24-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Options?

93, I saw your old thread from 2015. Did you end up using the ground converter or new wires? The verts just have the speakers in the door (2 sets), right? Are they wired in parallel as I only see one speaker wire pair from the cab through the door. Also did you confirm 2 or 4 ohm?

I assume the hole is standard 1.5 din?
Hey Robert,
Forgot about that. I did not use a ground converter. I think when I ohmed the wires out. That from the radio connector to each speaker had its own individual set of wires Both positive and negative. I did use one of the aftermarket plugs for chrysler so I did not cut my orig. harness.

For the 1.5 din I had no luck finding anything. Ended up using one of the adapter plates and went with a single din.
I considered trying to enlarge the hole and put a 2 din in, but, again from memory, the 1.5 is slightly wider then the 2 din, and even then, I believe it would look out of place.

Its a shame, but it seems that the aftermarket has dropped the 1.5 din stereos.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

I bought the Metra adapter and harness and the radio install was easy. Lot of soldering but I'm used to that now.

Still, the speakers sound like crap, and I don't even hear anything coming from the front ones. I found the wires cut but I resoldered them and still nothing, so wondering if they were cut for a reason...probably bad speakers.

Edit....I removed the fronts and they say 8 ohms....are those stock? I thought most aftermarket stuff nowadays is 4 ohm for car audio.

Last edited by robertmee; 07-31-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:21 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Well, they're definitely stock....have the little Chrysler emblem stamped on them.

For those of you that own a convertible, what a pain in the *** to change the back speakers. Fortunately, I have the convertible FSM supplemental, otherwise I'd still be working on it. In summary, you have to take the entire Rollbar (Seat belt support) out to get to the speakers. And once you remove all the bolts (8 of them on each side), plus the convertible cables, plus the seatbelt, plus the trim, you have to pull on the bar a certain way to roll it out of the bottom supports. It doesn't just lift out. Anyway, will install tomorrow.