1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brakes on a 93

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
While I understand your passion due to having a brake related death, we shouldn't globally hate on those that might not know everything about brakes or can afford to have them tip top. Granted, for your, mine and their safety we all wish that everyone's brakes were perfect, but in the real world they aren't. I completely changed every associated brake piece on my truck during my restoration...lines, hoses, drums, drum cylinders, shoes, springs/cables, pads, calipers, master cylinder and booster. And in the end, the simple swap of the lines at the dual MC kept me from having perfect brakes. Mistakes happen. Now, I didn't drive my truck while I was figuring out the problem, but I have 10 vehicles and can drive something else. But someone else might rely on their sole truck to get them to two jobs to feed their family, and they take the risk. Put yourself into someone's else's shoes and decisions might not seem so cut and dry. It's like when someone is tailgating me or dangerously passing me on the road. My first inclination is "what a jerk"...but what if that person is rushing to a hospital because a loved one has been in a terrible accident. You just never know....so better to show compassion than talk about jerking a knot in their head in a closed room Just my 2c.
Easiest way to get it right is to remove BOTH rear wheels and look at one o fix the other. Just don't do like my cousin who proved to me his iq is below 3, he took off both wheels both drums then hit the brakes to see if they worked

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Nah. Ill keep my 11" discs over 9" drums. Its been done for 4 months now.
11 over 9's I got 10.5's

Old 08-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolfen1086

11 over 9's I got 10.5's
Ill still keep the disc brakes over drum brakes.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ill still keep the disc brakes over drum brakes.
I've had drums all my life in teh rear of every vehicle I have ever had, I'm used o them, my wife's 08 F150 had disk in back and that thing need abs just to stop without leaving black marks on the pavement
, so ya will never sell me on em LOL

Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

I've had drums all my life in teh rear of every vehicle I have ever had, I'm used o them, my wife's 08 F150 had disk in back and that thing need abs just to stop without leaving black marks on the pavement
I hear ya. The abs on first gen Dakota's is so bad though it doesn't make a differnce. Ive only locked up once and that's was my doing not the trucks.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

So you're saying the rear brakes were better than the tires and the weight of the truck; and you didn't like that?

Instead you like the extended stopping distance of ABS when it kicks in (instead of the driver modulating)?

Just wanted to make sure I understood you right.

RwP

Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by RalphP
So you're saying the rear brakes were better than the tires and the weight of the truck; and you didn't like that?

Instead you like the extended stopping distance of ABS when it kicks in (instead of the driver modulating)?

RwP
no. Not even close. I have less then perfect tires right now that give up grip before they should. And I stood on my brakes to brake check someone and one tire locked up. With good tires, as ive noted in my swap thread, its impossible to lock em up even in the wet.

Thats why I said it was my fault they locked up, and nothing to do with the truck or rear discs.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

no. Not even close. I have less then perfect tires right now that give up grip before they should. And I stood on my brakes to brake check someone and one tire locked up. With good tires, as ive noted in my swap thread, its impossible to lock em up even in the wet.

Thats why I said it was my fault they locked up, and nothing to do with the truck or rear discs.
Ahem.

I was quoting Wolfen1086, not Toby Warford.

And answering him, not you.

RwP

Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Ahem.

I was quoting Wolfen1086, not Toby Warford.

And answering him, not you.

RwP
calm down killer.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

RwP
I would like to see anyone that can beat ABS for stopping distance in less than ideal conditions. I think you will find that the computer can modulate the brakes far better than any human can. (at least, on the trucks with 4wal. The dodge RWAL might just as well not even be there. )

Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would like to see anyone that can beat ABS for stopping distance in less than ideal conditions. I think you will find that the computer can modulate the brakes far better than any human can. (at least, on the trucks with 4wal. The dodge RWAL might just as well not even be there. )
*sips* *looks at friend* "Hold my beer, I got this"

Professional race car drivers. Theres a reason most if not all race cars dont have abs. And its not from keeping one less thing to fail either.