1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Couple swap questions (not transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:28 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple swap questions (not transmission)

So, this parts truck I got, has a tilt wheel. I would love to habe it in my dd. That's a pretty straight forward swap right? Drop lower dash under column, disconnect some bolts here and there, wiring as needed and reverse all that right? Anything not obvious? Aside from taking out air bag fuse and following procedure to make sure the air bag is disabled?

next, it also has cruise control. My dd does not. I dont think there is , but is there anything in the cruise control tied to the ecm or obd2 vs obd1? Seems to me itd be taking off the vacuum neccessities, electrical and throttle cable needs then tie it all in to my truck. Or, maybe have someone with more knowledge then me do it?

Old 08-25-2017, 05:57 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
So, this parts truck I got, has a tilt wheel. I would love to habe it in my dd. That's a pretty straight forward swap right? Drop lower dash under column, disconnect some bolts here and there, wiring as needed and reverse all that right? Anything not obvious? Aside from taking out air bag fuse and following procedure to make sure the air bag is disabled?

next, it also has cruise control. My dd does not. I dont think there is , but is there anything in the cruise control tied to the ecm or obd2 vs obd1? Seems to me itd be taking off the vacuum neccessities, electrical and throttle cable needs then tie it all in to my truck. Or, maybe have someone with more knowledge then me do it?
In my 90 the CC was part of the SBEC computer. I don't recall the exact signals as I don't have the FSM in front of me, but it's in the electrical diagrams. I removed the computer in my build and remade the factory engine harness and remember that AC, fuel management, the ASD relay, and cruise were part of the SBEC circuits that I removed or modified. It's on diagrams AN21, 22.

I do believe the 88 and earlier models were divorced from the computer completely so not sure the years of your trucks.

Last edited by robertmee; 08-25-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:02 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
In my 90 the CC was part of the SBEC computer. I don't recall the exact signals as I don't have the FSM in front of me, but it's in the electrical diagrams. I removed the computer in my build and remade the factory engine harness and remember that AC, fuel management, the ASD relay, and cruise were part of the SBEC circuits that I removed or modified. It's on diagrams AN21, 22.

I do believe the 88 and earlier models were divorced from the computer completely so not sure the years of your trucks.
Yah, the changeover occured in 1989 or 1990 for the integrated cruise control; 1987/1988 used a stand alone module.

For Toby - you'll have to peruse the wiring diagrams for the source truck and your truck; hopefully your donor diagrams are in the FAQ here.

Oh, look, yes, they DO have the 1995 in a PDF.

I'd be comparing those to your truck to see what changes. Also, suggestion? Swap the lock cylinder, unless you just want to keep two keys. But check first - for 1988, the lock cylinders are different between tilt and non-tilt. So are all the switchs. Luckily, the CONNECTORS were all the same, so they were plug and swap. Check the interchange at the dealer and/or the parts house *notes that RockAuto DOES keep a good set of the parts manufacturer's interchanges, makes it easy to check them, but that the accuracy is limited to the manufacturer of the part - if Cardone says it fits, so does RA for Cardone parts; if Wells doesn't list it, RA doesn't list it for Wells, etc. It's not a Bible by any means, but it beats betting some parts guy that wants to know if your truck is 2WD or 4WD to look up the windshield wipers can actually figure out the interchange .... *

I'd also suggest considering doing the MFS and ignition switches while swapping the column; they're getting old, and while it's apart and swapping is a perfect time to do the deed.

Also - if you don't figure out cruise, leave the switches in place; you can always go back and add cruise if you wish. I'll bet the programming is in the ECU either way on the Gen1's that do the cruise out of the ECU; they don't list THAT many variances in ECUs, and "cruise yes/no" isn't on the list at the Dodge dealership or at Cardone's web site.

RwP

Old 08-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by robertmee

thanks. Ill pull the cruise anyways and just keep it around. And swap the column and maybe someday use those buttons for an aftermarket unit.