1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

OBD2 3.9 into a 92 3.9?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Bryce V. Fowler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OBD2 3.9 into a 92 3.9?

Has anybody done this before? I think my 92 has a blown head gasket, or possibly even a cracked block (I have smoke coming from the drivers side exhaust manifold, valve cover gasket blown out, milky antifreeze). I have a 98/99 5 Speed with the 3.9l I'm thinking about transferring into the 92, but unless the wiring is correct I'm going to be tossing CEL like no tomorrow. Anybody have any information on this kind of swap? Everything I've searched only takes me from upgrading the PCM and such. In theory a direct 3.9 swap would be easy, but depending on the kinds of sensors and such.

I'm also looking at swapping the transfer case and rear end (not the 5 speed yet because of driveshaft length). My 92 transfer case is quite literally sheared at the output cone around the rear driveshaft. I've heard that the 5 speed and auto have different outputs to the transfer case. I supposed tig welding the aluminum housing is an option, however I'm afraid the damage has already been done to the innards. Any information on that would be helpful as well.
EDIT- I'd considered the option of completely removing the transfer case as well. Wouldn't be a huge deal to me if I had to run 4x2 for a bit while I get the rest figured out.

Last edited by Bryce V. Fowler; 09-23-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Mechanically, the engines are pretty much the same. If you transfered your stock sensors to the 'new' motor, it should run just fine.

Don't bother welding the t-case. It won't last. It will just blow itself apart again. if the t-cases are the same model, go ahead and swap them. I do believe the only difference is the depth of the input hub.... if it comes right down to it, you could probably swap those around.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Bryce V. Fowler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Mechanically, the engines are pretty much the same. If you transfered your stock sensors to the 'new' motor, it should run just fine.
Pretty much what I was thinking. I did find a little doohickey about ECM transfer for the 92-95 years to keep the computer happy, but that was for a 318. Essentially the same minus two cylinders, but ya know, generalities vs technicalities.
Don't bother welding the t-case. It won't last. It will just blow itself apart again. if the t-cases are the same model, go ahead and swap them. I do believe the only difference is the depth of the input hub.... if it comes right down to it, you could probably swap those around.
According to this link here, there are the same model but the 92 has a 23/26 in/out and the 98-00 apparently has 3 different types of transfer cases. Essentially the same, but can either be a 23 in and 32 or 27 output. IF I'm reading it right.
EDIT: Yoke should be changeable on the driveshaft anyways, so no worries about that.

Last edited by Bryce V. Fowler; 09-23-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Don't know about the dakotas, but, on the full size trucks, the VSS on the trans/t-case went away in 98.......

Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Also worth noting, they went to larger injectors in 1994; you may have to either swap to a 94/95 ECU, or replace the injectors on the motor, to keep it from tossing a CEL.

Or you may not have to, just note that.

RwP