1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help!!! Trying to fix heat before winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Trevorlb90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Trying to fix heat before winter

My fan blows very weak. I can hear it running strong but very little air coming out. Been this way since i got the truck. Was thinking of taking the blower motor out to see if the inner screen was clogged... Problem is that i am having a hard time locating the blower motor itself... How do i access the blower motor? Is there i filter or screen that needs to be cleaned? I checked both actuators and they are functioning

Old 10-22-2017, 02:21 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Crawl in on the passenger side.

Lay with your head in the floor board, your tail end in the seat, and your feet in the air.

Look under the dash.

See those two big wires running up into the HVAC box on the passenger fender side?

They go to the blower motor.

No filter or screen; I'd first check that no air's coming out of ANYWHERE, then have someone activate the various functions and see if the actuators are actuating (and there's more than two of them!)

If all else fails, luckily on a Gen1 Dakota, you can drop the lower half dash to pull the HVAC box.

Instructions are in the factory service manual, which I HIGHLY recommend for this job.

And, while in there, if you do pull the box, consider replacing the heater core and the evaporator along with the blower motor ...

RwP