1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Should my IAC be sucking in air like category 5 hurricane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:27 AM
HotelCarolina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should my IAC be sucking in air like category 5 hurricane?

Hey guys having a problem with my '95 5.2 Magnum and I have a problem where my truck is backfiring through the intake/tailpipe, misfires, and my IAC is sucking in way too much than I know it's supposed to. I know the first answer is to replace the IAC but I have already put in 2 new ones and it's still sucking in too much air making it die. My question is what makes the IAC actuate and why would it be doing this? I have a little bit of a timing issue which can explain the misfires and backfiring but the truck was running fine on Wednesday, but when I went to go start it today it just wouldn't stay running because of the huge amount of vacuum from the IAC port. All sensors on the engine are new and fuel and spark is good.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

What brand sensors did you buy? The dodges REALLY don't seem to care for the aftermarket fellers.....

Did you clean the throttle body when you changed the IAC? If not, pull it, and clean it out really well. They like to accumulate crap there. Once that's done, disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes. Hook it back up, and turn the key to "on" (not start), count to 10, THEN start the engine. Don't touch the gas at all. This will let the computer re-learn the various sensors. See if it helps.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on your description you're either looking not looking at where the iac is and its something else, or you replaced the iac for no reason.

the iac is going to make cat 5 vacuum sounds. Its impossible for it to suck that much air. And it has nothing to do with backfiring and all that. The sole purpose of the iac is to move the plunger at a set value to keep the engine running at idle, just as the name says. When the iac fails, its either not going to idle and shut off, or idle higher then normal. Nothing more, nothing less.

Your real problem seems to be 2 fold. First, it sounds like you have a huge vacuum leak. Probably on the tb. But that would cause it to back fire. Second, well, backfiring. That coild be a couple things. Do you have an engine light?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:58 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What brand sensors did you buy? The dodges REALLY don't seem to care for the aftermarket fellers.....

Did you clean the throttle body when you changed the IAC? If not, pull it, and clean it out really well. They like to accumulate crap there. Once that's done, disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes. Hook it back up, and turn the key to "on" (not start), count to 10, THEN start the engine. Don't touch the gas at all. This will let the computer re-learn the various sensors. See if it helps.
If the Dodges really don't seem to care for the aftermarket IACs are there some brands better than others?

Old 12-23-2017, 01:18 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
If the Dodges really don't seem to care for the aftermarket IACs are there some brands better than others?
Well, there's always Mopar from the dealer and elsewhere.

RwP

Old 12-23-2017, 04:00 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

I think I got mine at NAPA I forget the brand but when I was doing it I bought all the best parts I could get.