1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 3.9 V6 kinda jerks when giving gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Without the tests Ralph suggests I was thinking the stutter indicates Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) may be failing, losing pressure in the fuel line, sticky or partially plugged injector and possibly the TV cable has come out of adjustment. That mostly affects shifting but I notice it responds better to the foot when its adjusted properly https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1898201
I'd check the fluids and open the Distributor cap to make sure everything inside is still in good shape.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 PM
Josh89Griffin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Without the tests Ralph suggests I was thinking the stutter indicates Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) may be failing, losing pressure in the fuel line, sticky or partially plugged injector and possibly the TV cable has come out of adjustment. That mostly affects shifting but I notice it responds better to the foot when its adjusted properly https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1898201
I'd check the fluids and open the Distributor cap to make sure everything inside is still in good shape.
I was thinking TPS as well. Looking in the 1988 Dakota service manual now

Old 12-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Josh89Griffin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FINALLY fixed the problem!!!
Today, I had the u-joint at the transmission, the u-joint at the rear end, the rear pinion seal, & the driveshaft support bearing. Both u-joints needed to be replaced, but the surprising part is that the driveshaft support bearing was what was causing the skipping problem when you hit the gas from a dead stop.
Just wanted to give an update!