1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How to clean throttle body 88 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Josh89Griffin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean throttle body 88 Dakota

I have bought a can of SeaFoam spray to use to clean the throttle body on my Dakota. Is this a good easy way to clean the Holley Throttle body?

Old 12-01-2017, 11:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

You can do a better job if you actually take it off, and clean it......

Old 12-01-2017, 12:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Sea Foam = snake oil

Agree with Brian. You will have much better results removing the TB and cleaning it.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:43 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Err, I'd recommend against just removing it.

Do remember, a 1988 is Throttle Body Injected; think "All the problems of carburators with none of the benefits; all the problems of fuel injection with none of the benefits." *grins*

For a 1988 ... Shucks, I use carb/throttle body cleaner on a rag, wipe it out as good as I can, and because I'm olde skool, mostly Berryman B12 to clean it (Seafoam also works, BTW; but Berryman is usually a LOT less.)

Don't forget to reach around the injectors and clean the plate as well as you can.

Now, if you also buy a new gasket set, you can remove it, pull the spacer, clean the bottom, and put it back together without taking all the fittings loose.

OTOH, removing it will allow for better cleaning; but you had BETTER label EACH AND EVERY HOSE WHERE IT CAME FROM AND WHERE IT GOES.

(I use a Brother P-Touch for such like; YMMV, of course.)

RwP

Old 12-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Josh89Griffin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You RalphP! I will get a clean rag, sprayed down with throttle body cleaner, and clean it that way! Thanks!

Originally Posted by RalphP
Err, I'd recommend against just removing it.

Do remember, a 1988 is Throttle Body Injected; think "All the problems of carburators with none of the benefits; all the problems of fuel injection with none of the benefits." *grins*

For a 1988 ... Shucks, I use carb/throttle body cleaner on a rag, wipe it out as good as I can, and because I'm olde skool, mostly Berryman B12 to clean it (Seafoam also works, BTW; but Berryman is usually a LOT less.)

Don't forget to reach around the injectors and clean the plate as well as you can.

Now, if you also buy a new gasket set, you can remove it, pull the spacer, clean the bottom, and put it back together without taking all the fittings loose.

OTOH, removing it will allow for better cleaning; but you had BETTER label EACH AND EVERY HOSE WHERE IT CAME FROM AND WHERE IT GOES.

(I use a Brother P-Touch for such like; YMMV, of course.)

RwP