1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Idler Air Control Valve Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bronze
FINAL UPDATE

Listen carefully because I am too embarrassed to say this more than once. I wouldn't tell you at all if it wasn't for the anonymity of the cyber world.

My problem is fixed. Got a new Mopar IAC, put it on and it did not fix the problem. Idle still at 1700 RPM. After 12 cuss words I went back and inspected all my vacuum hoses again. Sure enough, I found the vacuum hose that goes into the front of the throttle body was cracked. Replaced the hose convinced that would solve my problem. Nope! Still idled at 1700 RPM. After 24 cuss words I decided to pull the throttle body off again and clean it again. Once I removed the throttle body I looked underneath it and discovered the gasket was rotated 180 degrees the wrong way. And to think I clearly remembered to ask myself five times before I put it on the first time to "BE SURE IT IS ORIENTED THE RIGHT WAY"! And I still put it on the wrong way. How freaking embarrassing!!!

She idles at 750 rpm again.

<sheepishly walking away with tail stuck between my legs>
ill share my story with you as well.

Few months ago I changed my thermostat. I take mine off like a normal tstat. Instead of taking everything off the front of the engine like the book says.

Anyways, I take the bolt off the intake for the alternator brace, and loosen the other bolt of the brace where the grounds are. Got the tstat in, system bleed all was good. Go to start it up and its missing and shaking like and sob. Thought it might of been bad gas so I put $20 of high test in to maybe balance it all out. Still bucking and backfiring. I was freaking out. Though when I burped the system and coolant got sprayed everywhere I friend the computer or a sensor.

Then it hit me like a freight train. I never tightend the second bolt down in the brace where the grounds are. 2 turns in that bolt and truck as a1 again.

D'oh!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
ill share my story with you as well.

Few months ago I changed my thermostat. I take mine off like a normal tstat. Instead of taking everything off the front of the engine like the book says.

Anyways, I take the bolt off the intake for the alternator brace, and loosen the other bolt of the brace where the grounds are. Got the tstat in, system bleed all was good. Go to start it up and its missing and shaking like and sob. Thought it might of been bad gas so I put $20 of high test in to maybe balance it all out. Still bucking and backfiring. I was freaking out. Though when I burped the system and coolant got sprayed everywhere I friend the computer or a sensor.

Then it hit me like a freight train. I never tightend the second bolt down in the brace where the grounds are. 2 turns in that bolt and truck as a1 again.

D'oh!
Like I said, EVERYONE has one of 'those' stories.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 429 Likes on 367 Posts

LMAO!

We could have a thread dedicated to bonehead moves and it would be the longest thread on the forum. They'd turn it into a sticky.

Back to my gasket being turned 180 degrees in the wrong direction. I thought about it some more and I know why I got bollixed up. I put the bolts in the throttle body first. Then I attached the gasket to the bolts protruding through the bottom. I held the thing above my head and turned my neck to see underneath to make sure it was oriented right. Worst thing you can do is look at something upside down to make sure something is right side up.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quick Reply: Idler Air Control Valve Issue