1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Timing issues 95 3.9L V6 Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 02:29 AM
Codyjo1969
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing issues 95 3.9L V6 Magnum

I have a 95 Dakota with a 3.9 L V6, I just rebuilt the top end of it due to a blown head gasket I have done a total rebuild on the top end of the motor. As is common with the 90's heads ALL cylinders had cracks...
While having all of this apart, I took the time to replace the timing chain and the timing sprockets. I made sure that the cam sprocket timing mark was at the 6 o'clock position and the crank gear timing mark was at 12 o'clock position. Reassembly was completed. All fluids were replaced as were filters.
The truck will idle about 900 RPM's. Shoot it with a timing light and it is about 5 degrees off. I have loosened the distributor and have rotated it as far as it will go. The truck will run down the road, however, it stalls out at red lights sporadically and dies as I am turning into a parking spot.
I REALLY don't wanna rip the front off the motor to look at the timing marks. It has been suggested to pull the distributor locking bracket and lift and turn the whole distributor ONE tooth in the clockwise direction to advance it then make the little adjustments by turning the distributor itself as you normally do. Am I asking for trouble by doing this? Any other suggestions besides tearing it back down?

Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Codyjo1969
I have a 95 Dakota with a 3.9 L V6, I just rebuilt the top end of it due to a blown head gasket I have done a total rebuild on the top end of the motor. As is common with the 90's heads ALL cylinders had cracks...
While having all of this apart, I took the time to replace the timing chain and the timing sprockets. I made sure that the cam sprocket timing mark was at the 6 o'clock position and the crank gear timing mark was at 12 o'clock position. Reassembly was completed. All fluids were replaced as were filters.
The truck will idle about 900 RPM's. Shoot it with a timing light and it is about 5 degrees off. I have loosened the distributor and have rotated it as far as it will go. The truck will run down the road, however, it stalls out at red lights sporadically and dies as I am turning into a parking spot.
I REALLY don't wanna rip the front off the motor to look at the timing marks. It has been suggested to pull the distributor locking bracket and lift and turn the whole distributor ONE tooth in the clockwise direction to advance it then make the little adjustments by turning the distributor itself as you normally do. Am I asking for trouble by doing this? Any other suggestions besides tearing it back down?
asking for huge trouble. First, did you take the distributor shaft out when you was working on it? It doesn't have anything to do with timing, that's controlled by the computer mainly. Did you clean the throttle body good when you tore it all apart? Or replace any sensors? Because your symptoms are the tall tell sign of the I.A.C valve sticking to the T.

turnjng the distributor will only get your fuel sync out of wack then you'll really be cussing getting it back right. At least according to what I read.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 AM
Codyjo1969

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
asking for huge trouble. First, did you take the distributor shaft out when you was working on it? It doesn't have anything to do with timing, that's controlled by the computer mainly. Did you clean the throttle body good when you tore it all apart? Or replace any sensors? Because your symptoms are the tall tell sign of the I.A.C valve sticking to the T.

turnjng the distributor will only get your fuel sync out of wack then you'll really be cussing getting it back right. At least according to what I read.
Did NOT pull distributor shaft at all. Replaced rotor button and cap. Did nothing to throttle body. Did pull injectors and replaced "o" rings and the blue cap at the tip. Replaced water temp sensors and oil pressure sending unit.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

Did NOT pull distributor shaft at all. Replaced rotor button and cap. Did nothing to throttle body. Did pull injectors and replaced "o" rings and the blue cap at the tip. Replaced water temp sensors and oil pressure sending unit.
well theres your problem. Why you'd "rebuild" the top end amd not bother doing anything with the throttle body is beyond me. Take it off, clean it. And clean the I.A.C sensor. Problem solved.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:51 AM
Codyjo1969

well theres your problem. Why you'd "rebuild" the top end amd not bother doing anything with the throttle body is beyond me. Take it off, clean it. And clean the I.A.C sensor. Problem solved.
Don't know what I.A.C sensor is or where it is located.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:53 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

Don't know what I.A.C sensor is or where it is located.
Google it.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Codyjo1969

Google it.
I have and will head to store for a new one. This may help some, however, this won't fix the issue with the timing light showing more than 5° off TDC.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Codyjo1969

I have and will head to store for a new one. This may help some, however, this won't fix the issue with the timing light showing more than 5° off TDC.
On a side note, have BAD crankcase venting coming out of valve cover going into the breather. Any ideas there?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

The computer will need time to reset the timing its not instant. You turned the Distributor so now you will have to reset you fuel Synchronization. Turning the dist affects when the signal to the injectors fires. http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...uel%20Sync.pdf
Once you get the fuel sync set, drive it for a few days then check the timing. The computer does the timing regardless of what you do to the motor. IDK what it might mean if it does not correct itself.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Codyjo1969

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
The computer will need time to reset the timing its not instant. You turned the Distributor so now you will have to reset you fuel Synchronization. Turning the dist affects when the signal to the injectors fires. http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...uel%20Sync.pdf
Once you get the fuel sync set, drive it for a few days then check the timing. The computer does the timing regardless of what you do to the motor. IDK what it might mean if it does not correct itself.
Almost at wits end with it.

Quick Reply: Timing issues 95 3.9L V6 Magnum