1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What is this called? Some rodent or pest ate these wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 AM
Ggregory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this called? Some rodent or pest ate these wires

so long story short we
Sent to start my truck 1988 Dakota 3.9L this afternoon after parked two days under a tree and it would turn over but that was it. Recently I replaced the alternator. Thought battery had gone bad so took battery for test. All was fine with battery. Began browsing under hood to find some animal thought my truck was an all you can eat Buffett. I have no clue how these wires hook up back on the harness. My plan is to go to a junkyard tommorow and try to get part of the harness from another vehicle or the whole thing and re install. But if I have to splice anything I am screwed. My work truck right now and so far has been very dependable. Minor small wear and tear issues. What is the black box looking thing called? What does it do? Obviously I need the connectors also. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks in advance

Old 03-05-2018, 07:02 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

those are electric solenoids that open and close to let vacuum thru at different times when the computer says to, they are for the AIR pump valve, EGR and I forget what the 3rd one controls.
Yeah I don't get how/why when they chew wires, they chew right up to the connector and leave no chance of a splice/ repair. I run into that at work all the time. and for those pigtails that are available separate from the dealer they are stupid expensive.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:07 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Third is the evap system purge valve solenoid.

RwP

Quick Reply: What is this called? Some rodent or pest ate these wires