1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wiper blades keep coming loose from wiper arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper blades keep coming loose from wiper arm

I had bought a cheap set from Auto Zone (I know, I know) to tide me over until I could afford a better pair. After a week of use, the driver side blade would come loose every time I used the wipers. After an unnerving experience having to get out in traffic at a light and reattach it, I bought a Duralast set. Drove away, and the first time I hit the wipers, the passenger wiper came lose. I went back to AutoZone and asked them about it, and they were like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I doubt the problem can be the wipers themselves as it's occurred with two different types now.

In my area it's supposed to rain starting tomorrow and continue for the next couple of weeks, so naturally I'm stressing over this as it's a major safety issue. To be precise, the wiper keeps coming out where the hole on the wiper fits onto the "male" part of the arm, so to speak. I'll fit the wiper onto the arm and push the clip on the arm down as that's what's coming loose but to no avail. The next time I hit the wipers, the wiper will flop around and come loose again.

Please help!

Old 03-07-2018, 01:36 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

If you can post a pic it might help. It sounds as if you are not getting the blade pressed all the way onto the male part of the arm. It might be the blades are wrong or you are using the wrong hole :0 It's not super easy to get them to snap, but most people should be able to.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
If you can post a pic it might help. It sounds as if you are not getting the blade pressed all the way onto the male part of the arm. It might be the blades are wrong or you are using the wrong hole :0 It's not super easy to get them to snap, but most people should be able to.
There seems to be a lot of play where the blade is resting on the arm. Pushing the blade on the arm does not make it snap and judging by the look of it, there's no way it could snap. I took a screwdriver and pressed down on the clip hard until the entire wiper blade began to give, nothing happening there.

All I have to do is wiggle the blade back and forth a few times and the clip that is supposed to stay down has already worked its way back up again. My truck takes 18in wipers, is this measurement referring to the length of the blades, the length of the arms themselves, or the combined length of the blade and the arm?

As far as the holes are concerned, there is only one hole the male part could go into. The other hole is partially covered by the clip and I don't think it could or would fit in there anyway.

Last edited by 93422; 03-07-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find another parts store. Buy another set. Tell them put them on.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:34 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine are bosch the swivel part on yours looks like it should clamp down. I had a similar issue I forget what I had but the bosch are working fine.

Quick Reply: Wiper blades keep coming loose from wiper arm