1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 dodge Dakota 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018 | 12:47 AM
Thomas Morrison Jr.
|
Default 1992 dodge Dakota 4x4

Hello to all
I have a1992 dodge Dakota 4x4 with the magnum 318 motor I was hauling a 325gallon water tank and my transfer went ding like a bolt hitting the flor about that loud and then no power to my wheels in 4x4 or 2 wheel drive but it’s now stuck in 4 wheel low did my chain break or did my shift fork break it’s stuck in low range and it feels like it’s the fork it won’t go into neutral or shift out of low range . I been looking for a np231 D transfer case but no luck in Arizona no one has one . I can have mine rebuilt for about 855 if it’s some thing simple but if it’s a bigger job it will cost over 1000 for the repairs I guess I’m asking what transfers will fit into the 1992 dodge Dakota with manual shift transfer any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance Mr. T. E. Morrison

Old 03-02-2018 | 08:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, you seriously overloaded your truck, and something broke. That really shouldn't come as a surprise. (325 gallons of water weighs in at a little over 2700 lbs. the absolute MAX your truck is rated for is 2000 lbs..... and that is with the right equipment.)

Even if the chain broke, you would still have rear wheel drive. You are either going to have to do some tear-down, and see what broke, or, take it to a shop, and have someone else do the teardown.

Old 03-02-2018 | 03:32 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ok, you seriously overloaded your truck, and something broke. That really shouldn't come as a surprise. (325 gallons of water weighs in at a little over 2700 lbs. the absolute MAX your truck is rated for is 2000 lbs..... and that is with the right equipment.)

Even if the chain broke, you would still have rear wheel drive. You are either going to have to do some tear-down, and see what broke, or, take it to a shop, and have someone else do the teardown.
You're assuming the tank was filled with water Might of been empty. If it was full, the weight of the water, tank and trailer was a little much for the old 5.2

Old 03-02-2018 | 09:48 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by robertmee
You're assuming the tank was filled with water Might of been empty. If it was full, the weight of the water, tank and trailer was a little much for the old 5.2
well no, the engine isnt the problem. Its other things..

To the op, look on car-part.com. I find it impossible to believe there isn't a 231d for your truck in driving distance. Youre just not looking evidently.

Old 03-03-2018 | 06:58 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
well no, the engine isnt the problem. Its other things..

To the op, look on car-part.com. I find it impossible to believe there isn't a 231d for your truck in driving distance. Youre just not looking evidently.
Well of course I didn't mean the engine..."the old 5.2" is colloquial for the entire truck...like saying the old girl.

Old 03-03-2018 | 01:55 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by robertmee
Well of course I didn't mean the engine..."the old 5.2" is colloquial for the entire truck...like saying the old girl.
... No.. Not its not

Old 03-07-2018 | 11:07 PM
DAHEMIKOTA
Amateur

Sounds like the transfer case popped into neutral . Did you have it in four wheel when it made the popping sound? Can you put it in park and have the truck stay put? If the transfer case is in neutral park will not engage. May have bent the transfer case shift fork. Dan

Quick Reply: 1992 dodge Dakota 4x4