1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 Dodge Dakota 2WD v6 wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Shawna Marie Hommer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Dodge Dakota 2WD v6 wiring issue

I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota LE and I have currently lost headlights brake lights tail lights....replaced headlight switch and nothing....power going to panel and power going to switch....if you remove ALL fuses the dome light stays on

Old 04-15-2018, 10:47 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawna Marie Hommer
I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota LE and I have currently lost headlights brake lights tail lights....replaced headlight switch and nothing....power going to panel and power going to switch....if you remove ALL fuses the dome light stays on
You have power at the headlight switch; have you checked for power at the headlights, running lights, etc.? I would check for power at the headlights first. If your meter or test light sees 12VDC there it could be that a ground is bad (open). If your test light says you have voltage at the light, try running a wire from a spot on the body (bare metal of course) to the ground side of the light you're checking. If the light comes on you have a problem with the ground side of the circuit.

If you don't see 12VDC at the light you're checking, you'll have to follow the 12V feed back to see where you're losing it. Sometimes you'll see 12VDC but when its under load it drops and either doesn't light the lamp or lights it weakly. If that happens, it suggests a weak ground. If the 12V just isn't there, its a break in the wire, a bad switch, a blown fuse, etc. Since you're missing lights all over the truck it might be easier to start your search for a break close to the headlight switch, where you see 12V. Is your bulkhead connector on the firewall tight? All wiring leaving the cab passes in and out through that connector, so wires from the headlight switch to the exterior lights pass through there as well.

Quick Reply: 1992 Dodge Dakota 2WD v6 wiring issue