1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Difference in radiators

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Difference in radiators

I have a 87 dakota.
Radiator has been leaking slowly for quite awhile.
Need to replace it, but plan to eventually put a 5.9 magnum in the truck.
Here is my question
Will a 92-96 radiator fit the 87 core support?
I believe that the inlet-outlet is a 1/4 in larger on the 92-96 and for now would need to use an adapter of some sorts.....
Other then that, will it bolt up, or at least match up with new mounting holes drilled?
Oh, and I plan to go ahead and set up dual fans between the radiator and the condenser, eliminating the mechanical fan....

Looking for opinions especiallly from those who have converted from a LA V6 to a magnum V8

Thanks

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 05-02-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:55 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I have a 87 dakota.
Radiator has been leaking slowly for quite awhile.
Need to replace it, but plan to eventually put a 5.9 magnum in the truck.
Here is my question
Will a 92-96 radiator fit the 87 core support?
I believe that the inlet-outlet is a 1/4 in larger on the 92-96 and for now would need to use an adapter of some sorts.....
Other then that, will it bolt up, or at least match up with new mounting holes drilled?
Oh, and I plan to go ahead and set up dual fans between the radiator and the condenser, eliminating the mechanical fan....

Looking for opinions especiallly from those who have converted from a LA V6 to a magnum V8

Thanks
I was going to refer you to a fellow who's doing a similar swap, until I realized that fellow is you, lol. I wish I had a solid answer for you on whether the later 1st gen radiators will fit in an early 1st gen, but I don't know for sure, I've heard the supports are different.

In regard to the inlet/outlet question, the upper inlet size on the radiator was the same for the Magnum and my '89 V6 radiator. The lower was, as you noted, about 1/4" larger on the Magnum. My solution was not one of my best, as I was in a rush to do a test drive. I used a bicycle inner tube (for a 26" mountain bike as I recall). I fit a section over the radiator opening then doubled it back over itself about 2 inches, so the fold would be inside, toward the water. The Magnum hose fit over it fairly snug, and I clamped it on. I kept an eye on it for a while, but it's been on there over 2 years now without an issue, and I've been so involved with other parts of the truck that I've never addressed it again.

On the fans, I think your challenge is finding fans thin enough to fit between the radiator and condensor coils. These guys look like they make good stuff, and they make some thin fans, you may want to check them out if you haven't already: https://becool.com/pages/fans

Old 05-02-2018, 05:14 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this helps but the wide towing radiator fits both my 90 core and 94 core I used in my swap.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:46 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

*nod* The 1991 Extreme Cooling radiator is the same for my 1988 as for a 1991.

Just a data point.

RwP

Old 05-03-2018, 07:09 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks to all 3 of you who posted!!

I have found (spectra) 4 part numbers, in the 26 in width. The CU 982, CU 1196, CU 1195, and the CU 1709.
After looking at more pictures and reading up, I have found the following.

1. CU982 is listed for 87-90 I remember what Ragged said and did by using the bike tube to bushing it up. I found on another brand, the mention of a "stepped" outlet..... Looking at the pictures on rockauto, it appears the spectra has this as well. See link. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=426&jsn=426 IF the picture is accurate, I believe this would be ideal.
2. The CU1196 is listed for 89-91 V8. Again, if the pictures are accurate, they show the stepped outlet, but the inlet is on the right corner, which would be a problem.... See link. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=510&jsn=510
3. The CU1709 is shown for the 92-96 and FWIW that is the one I was originally wanting to try. It is the one that the mounts look different..... But the inlet-outlet locations looked about right, again IF pictures are accurate. Best I can tell does not have the stepped outlet as shown in the picture. See link. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=428&jsn=428
4. The CU1195 is shown for 91 V6 It appears to have the larger hose fittings.... 38mm-44mm.

According to the specs. I find, they are showing the CU982 (87-90) having inlet and outlet 32mm-38mm ..... the others are all 38-44 or 45mm so at the least, the published specs are suspect.

If the CU982 does have a stepped outlet as shown in the picture, I believe that would be my best fit. I am going to try and locate one local to see.

Thanks to everyone who has helped!!

Quick Reply: Difference in radiators