1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Pump assembly to tank gasket.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 AM
zhaarnak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump assembly to tank gasket.

In the process of converting my 1989 Dakota to an EQ headed, carbureted, Magnum and have run into a problem. I have been unable to locate a replacement fuel pump assembly to fuel tank gasket. The gasket used on my Dak is the flat, black one, roughly 6" in diameter. The only way I can find the damn thing is with the purchase of a new in tankpump (which I will not be using as this will be a carbureted installation). I decided that a new fuel sending unit would come with the required gasket. Maybe it did, but as I cannot find a NEW sending unit anywhere, I am in a tad bit of a jamb. What kind of material (ethanol proof) can be used to make my own gasket/seal? I am sure one of you have had to deal with this.

Oh, one another thing. Who was the inbred, swill guzzling, Draino snorting, HALFWIT that designed the fuel pump assembly for the 89 Dakota? Actually, calling the designer(s) a Halfwit is a grave insult to Halfwits all over the world. I apologize for my rant.....On second thought...NO I DO NOT!

Last edited by zhaarnak; 05-06-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:02 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

This is what I found for the 89 fuel pump https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=625352&ukey_make=1 062&ukey_model=15488&modelYear=1989&ukey_category= 20311
I found this after going through 90-93 finding the nut and gasket are NLA
1994 part 12 in the diagram is what I think you are looking for. I think the tank openings are the same but You'll have to get more knowledgeable people to confirm. If you get one put it in the sun for a while before trying to install and a very light coat of Vaseline on any rubber or synthetic rubber part helps if it is tight. https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=667605&ukey_make=1 062&ukey_model=15488&modelYear=1994&ukey_category= 20311

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-06-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:41 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by zhaarnak
In the process of converting my 1989 Dakota to an EQ headed, carbureted, Magnum and have run into a problem. I have been unable to locate a replacement fuel pump assembly to fuel tank gasket. The gasket used on my Dak is the flat, black one, roughly 6" in diameter. The only way I can find the damn thing is with the purchase of a new pump. Now, I was not born yesterday, so I decided that a new fuel sending unit would come with the required gasket. Maybe it did, but as I cannot find a NEW sending unit anywhere, I am in a tad bit of a jamb. What kind of material (ethanol proof) can be used to make my own gasket/seal? I am sure one of you have had to deal with this.

Oh, one another thing. Who was the inbred, swill guzzling, Draino snorting, HALFWIT that designed the fuel pump assembly for the 89 Dakota? Whomever it was, should have been locked in a VW van full of half starved Hogs! Actually, calling the designer(s) a Halfwit is a grave insult to Halfwits all over the world. I apologize for my rant.....On second thought...NO I DO NOT!
It's the same basic design to my 1991 Cougar, the 2000 Malibu I used to own, and most all fuel injected vehicles.

What's so bad about it?

As to the gasket itself ... a thick chunk of rubber could be cut into one that fits. Or a cheap fuel pump (I find some as low as $15.27 on RockAuto).

Besides, if you're redoing the motor, I'd do a new fuel pump ANYWAY to make sure it's nice and fresh; hate to have the fuel pump die a week later.

RwP

Old 05-06-2018, 05:26 PM
zhaarnak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I will not be using the in tank pump. I would have liked to replace the fuel sending unit as I was in the tank anyways. I guess I will just have to purchase the cheapest pump online and then hope that the seal was not made out of pig byproducts.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:00 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in a carb magnum in my 90 and kept the in tank pump. Much better setup than a mechanical pump, imo.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:04 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
I put in a carb magnum in my 90 and kept the in tank pump. Much better setup than a mechanical pump, imo.
This.

Use an adjustable bypass regulator, get it down to whatever is right for the carb (say 3.5PSI IIRC; DO rely on the carb manufacturer, not my fuzzy-from-age number!!) and let'er rip.

RwP

Old 05-07-2018, 10:31 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
This.

Use an adjustable bypass regulator, get it down to whatever is right for the carb (say 3.5PSI IIRC; DO rely on the carb manufacturer, not my fuzzy-from-age number!!) and let'er rip.

RwP
Exactly. My Edelbrock 1406 was happy at 6psi. I kept the return style fuel system of my 90 (upgraded to 3/8" lines), used the inline pump, and the holly regulator here: https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12...SABEgL3QPD_BwE

Old 05-07-2018, 08:46 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zhaarnak
Well, I will not be using the in tank pump. I would have liked to replace the fuel sending unit as I was in the tank anyways. I guess I will just have to purchase the cheapest pump online and then hope that the seal was not made out of pig byproducts.
Yeah, the ethanol thing, its a problem if the rubber is submerged or oft exposed.
Permatex makes a sealant called like "aviation form-a-gasket #3", and it withstands all sorts of fuels and additives. I used it to seal new fittings in my tank's fuel module when I put a Magnum 5.2 in my 89.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump assembly to tank gasket.