1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Time delay relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:34 PM
livin2kill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time delay relay

Hey

My name is Greg, new to forums. Just bought a 1988 dakota LE. Has the v6 3.9 and recently loaned it out came back with what appears to be a broken time delay relay or ignition lamp time delay relay. This relay is on the fuse panel and is round, 3 prong thing looks like a capacitor. This part is now discontinued. Does anyone know where I can get one? What does it do? Would it affect my stereo becuase it no longer works?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:49 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It won't affect the stereo; it's there to delay the interior lamps turning off when the door closes (specifically the ignition key light, but there's a few other things on it); and whereas it's listed as NLA, it's still available from other places besides the dealership.

The part number is 2889565, and as I type this, Ebay has several at https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+Mopar&_sop=15 . Also, if you have a pick'n'pull, you might be able to pick several up.

Finally, if nothing else, a time delay relay can be built to plug in its place. I've not had to do that yet, thankfully! But the time delay part is pretty common; the main problem is one that fits.

I attached the two pages concerning the time delay relay as a PDF to this message. This is from a PDF of the Chrysler Factory Service Manual. I HIGHLY recommend laying hands on one (or a paper and a PDF copy); it'd be one of the first places to check wiring diagrams for things that don't work.

RwP

Attached Files
Old 05-07-2018, 12:56 AM
livin2kill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
It won't affect the stereo; it's there to delay the interior lamps turning off when the door closes (specifically the ignition key light, but there's a few other things on it); and whereas it's listed as NLA, it's still available from other places besides the dealership.

The part number is 2889565, and as I type this, Ebay has several at https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+Mopar&_sop=15 . Also, if you have a pick'n'pull, you might be able to pick several up.

Finally, if nothing else, a time delay relay can be built to plug in its place. I've not had to do that yet, thankfully! But the time delay part is pretty common; the main problem is one that fits.

I attached the two pages concerning the time delay relay as a PDF to this message. This is from a PDF of the Chrysler Factory Service Manual. I HIGHLY recommend laying hands on one (or a paper and a PDF copy); it'd be one of the first places to check wiring diagrams for things that don't work.

RwP

A big thank you for that info, I will definitively try to get that manual. I guess it's just a coincidence my stereo went out or maybe wired wrong.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, I'd also check the ground points under the dash (there's a cross member that with age is failing for grounding).

It may be neither is bad, but the ground they use is.

And of course triple check all fuses; if the fuse that runs the 5V Constant fails, most radios will fail; and that's the fuse that runs the time delay relay also. Fuse 14 in the fuse block.

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 05-07-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Added note about common fuse
Old 05-07-2018, 10:27 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
Well, I'd also check the ground points under the dash (there's a cross member that with age is failing for grounding).

It may be neither is bad, but the ground they use is.

And of course triple check all fuses; if the fuse that runs the 5V Constant fails, most radios will fail; and that's the fuse that runs the time delay relay also. Fuse 14 in the fuse block.

RwP
Yeah, I can attest to this. I have a brand new aftermarket radio in my 90, and the other day the Radio quit working. I checked the Radio fuse and was all good, so I tore apart the dash, disconnected the harness to figure out where I lost power. It was the always on battery voltage, although it's 12V, not 5V. In addition to the radio, it runs the glove box lamp and a few other misc items.

Quick Reply: Time delay relay