1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Pcmdifferwnce between 92 and 93

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pcmdifferwnce between 92 and 93

So, some of you know me and what truck I'm working on, but for those who don't here's the info. 1993 Dak, 4x4, 5.2, auto. Anyway, wire harness was shot so I rebuilt it and fixed all the bug spots. But when the short in the harness happened it blew a fuse out of the computer.
so a friend gave me a parts truck that only has 145k on it. It's a 92 4x4 5.2. Not much usable as far as the frame and body goes, but trans, engine etc are in great shape. I used what I needed to get my truck running belt, tensioner coil, dist cap etc. The final piece was the pcm. Now my truck has a pcm that ended in 7848, but the 92 has one that ends In 7141. I went ahead and put the 92 computer in my 93. And it started up almost instantly. Once I had it warm it idled just fine and sounds super healthy. Crack the throttle and you get instant revs. Kinda impressive actually. I e seen 5.2s that had just the slightest hesitation. Not this one tho.

What I'm wondering, what's the difference between the 92 and 93 computers? So far the only real differences Ive seen with the 92 is the transfer case has vacuum lines running to it, my 93 is all wires. The pdc on the 92 and the windshield washer reservoir have reversed locations when compared to the 93 and the cruise control parts are in different locations. Everything else seems to be the same. So what's the differences between the 2 years

Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
So, some of you know me and what truck I'm working on, but for those who don't here's the info. 1993 Dak, 4x4, 5.2, auto. Anyway, wire harness was shot so I rebuilt it and fixed all the bug spots. But when the short in the harness happened it blew a fuse out of the computer.
so a friend gave me a parts truck that only has 145k on it. It's a 92 4x4 5.2. Not much usable as far as the frame and body goes, but trans, engine etc are in great shape. I used what I needed to get my truck running belt, tensioner coil, dist cap etc. The final piece was the pcm. Now my truck has a pcm that ended in 7848, but the 92 has one that ends In 7141. I went ahead and put the 92 computer in my 93. And it started up almost instantly. Once I had it warm it idled just fine and sounds super healthy. Crack the throttle and you get instant revs. Kinda impressive actually. I e seen 5.2s that had just the slightest hesitation. Not this one tho.

What I'm wondering, what's the difference between the 92 and 93 computers? So far the only real differences Ive seen with the 92 is the transfer case has vacuum lines running to it, my 93 is all wires. The pdc on the 92 and the windshield washer reservoir have reversed locations when compared to the 93 and the cruise control parts are in different locations. Everything else seems to be the same. So what's the differences between the 2 years
Straight off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason for them to be different in any real way. Here's why I say that: 5.2 V8 Dakotas in '92 & '93 were all automatics, no manuals. They wore the same size injectors (they changed in '94), the same exhaust manifolds and pipes (those shrank after '93), the same return-style fuel system, and I believe, the same cam with ever-so-slightly more lift. So, while they have some differences from later years, the '92 & '93 5.2 are essentially the same engine with the same sensors, and I think they'd be perfectly happy to run with either of those computers. Maybe Ma Mopar made some tweaks in the computer for '93, but regardless, the '92 & '93 engines are bobsie twins. I'll wait for someone to point out the differences I missed, but I don't think so.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 PM
ragged89
All Star

I just did a quick check and JEG's shows one performance computer offered for '92/'93 5.2's:

https://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Perform...47011/10002/-1

Old 05-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Yeah I'm not going performance pcm quite yet. I plan on taking the motor out of the parts truck that's only got 145k on it, I'm gonna hone cylinders, rering it, put coated main and rod bearings, cam bearings, timing set, and rebuild the heads and add better valvesprings and 1.7 roller rockers, that's when I'm gonna add in the performance pcm. Trucks already got a damn good exhaust, I'll be adding pacesetters to it. But for now I just wanna get the frame and body done so I can get it on the road

Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 PM
ragged89
All Star

Sounds like a good project. You can use that stock '92 computer, it'll work fine.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:59 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been running a 93 computer in my 92 since the 2nd day I had the 92, having saved the one from my wrecked 93 not knowing the 92 would come to me with a bad injector driver module. 42K miles, 2 years later (and 207K "and counting" total miles on the 92) still runs just fine. Noe I remember having played with a 94 computer in that 93 that I had, and it did give me fits.....

Old 05-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Yeah so far from what Ive been able to find, the 92-93 are interchangeable. But just those 2 years. A 94 or newer pcm wont work. So for now this is fine.

As for it being a project... Every vehicle I get is a project in one way or another. Luckily I'll be able to drive this one while I put the other drivetrain together

Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

From what I've found out, the vintages are:

88/89 - completely different code base, but both interchange. There is more problem with 88 starting out as a 3 speed auto, with the 4 speed added, and the 89 being almost all 4 speed. Both are SMECs (Single Module Electronic Controller)

90/91 - Interchangeable, AFAIK. Both are SBECs (Single Board Electronic Controller) and TBI.

92/93 - Interchangeable. Both are SEFI SBECs.

94/95 - Interchangeable. Both are SEFI SBECs.

96 - First year for the JTEC. AFAIK, takes code hacking to swap with any other year.

RwP

Old 05-16-2018, 11:48 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Cool thanks ralph

Quick Reply: Pcmdifferwnce between 92 and 93