1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

gas gauge doesnt read

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 10:32 PM
james45309
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas gauge doesnt read

my 93 Dakota with 3.9 automatic gas gauge was reading maybe a 16th of a tank all the time,then I put in another fuel pump sending unit and now reads almost 1/4 all the time,i tried moving the pump unit each way thinking it might be hung up but still no luck,gets old having to carry a gas can around in the truck just in case, lol, any ideas?

Old 07-30-2018, 06:34 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Time to grab a 1993 Factory Service Manual and walk through the gas gauge troubleshooting chart.

But basically -

1) Pull fuel pump assembly. Work gas gauge sending unit while ignition is on. Does the gauge move as you move the sending unit? There WILL be a delay due to the antislosh built into the gauge itself; this is not something to be done in 30 seconds or less.

2) Check wiring to the gauge. There's one wire you can ground and the gauge will pop up full; another you can ground and it will cause the LOW FUEL light to light up, if you LOW FUEL light is run off the sending unit directly like my 1988 is.

3) Then it's time to check the gauge itself, if it's not working yet.

RwP

Quick Reply: gas gauge doesnt read