1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Question about a500 (42RH) Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 AM
Lawless123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a500 (42RH) Transmission Rebuild

1989 Dodge Dakota LE
2WD Automatic 87k miles

So..I'm looking into doing a rebuild on the transmission. My 4rd gear is toast and the truck doesn't shift into 4th gear. Just stays about 3,000RPM's in 3rd. I have replaced fluids and new filter. But when i dropped the transmission pan i did find a pile of shavings and quite a bit of clutch pack material on the magnet on the pan. There was so much of it looked like a sea urchin. It was all soft a squishy. I have a lvl 3 Technician who i work with at my local dodge dealership willing to help me do a rebuild as i can't afford the option of buying a re manufactured transmission. I was looking at the rebuild kits on ebay. But one kit i'm looking at it asks about the band size. 1.375 or 1.6. Is this something i need to tear into the transmission to measure and find out before buying or should i ask for both bands and see if i can return the one i don't use? Unless you guys suggest i find another kit to go with? I'm already looking into ordering a new Torque converter for the rebuild. I heard that when finding a kit to make sure to find one with new steel plates as well.

This is the Kit i was looking at: Click here
or should i go with something like this? Click Here

I'm happy to hear about the feedback. Thank you!

Old 07-30-2018, 07:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

If you are going to rebuild it, you should upgrade it as well. Check out Transmissioncenter.net for some good quality kit, that come with everything you need.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used one like your second link, but ended up changing some of the hard parts to handle higher horsepower. Your tranny rebuild guy should be able to direct you to what you need. He might want better servo's for example which aren't in those kits. As for the bands, pretty sure pre-1992 were 1.375.

Quick Reply: Question about a500 (42RH) Transmission Rebuild