1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

fender removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:15 AM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fender removal

hey, I'm heading to the auto wreckers to get a front fender and I'm just wondering if any of you guys know what tools I need to get one off. Id rather not bring a arsenal of tools with me if I don't need them.

my truck is a 1994 but from my understanding all the fenders are the same

Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I have never pulled the fenders, yet. Look for post by tbugden, and robertmee. I think they both have info on it, and from what I remember, they are pretty simple to pull. Only word of caution I could offer, depending on where you live, be prepared for rust. Even if the fender is good, those bolts can be a bear.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:06 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It'll be easier to get to all the bolts if you drop the front bumper first, also if you remove the headlight surround on that side.

I don't remember the nut sizes; but I don't THINK the bolt sizes change 87 to 96, so if you match up on your truck first, you should be able to carry just a long arm box end wrench (or combo wrench), a 1/2 drive ratchet and socket, and the other socket for the fenders proper with an extension or two.

RwP

Old 08-07-2018, 12:11 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You have to pull the cowl first. This means removing the wiper arms by releasing the retainer clip (flathead screwdriver), then removing the cowl screws (phillips screwdriver) on the front of the cowl as you see when you open the hood. There are also two screws on the sides of the cowl that screw into the fenders. Remove those.

Then as Ralph said pull the headlight trim off. bunch of phillips screws. No need to remove the headlights themselves, but the trim does include the signal lights so disconnect those if the trim is still in your way.

Then remove the bumper. You may be able to squeeze the fender out without doing that but I'm doubtful and I guarantee you will gouge the fender up trying. The bolts that bolt the bumper to the frame are 5/8" I believe but I don't recall for sure. There are two bolts for the bumper braces as well that bolt to the outside of the frame rail.

Then you must remove everything attached to the fender. Of course that depends on which side you're doing but could include fuse box and washer tank and battery tray (left) or evap canister and PCM (right). PCM uses small hex head fasteners, might be 1/4" but I don't remember.

Then the fender itself is entirely held on by 1/2" head fasteners. There are 2 on the front, 4 on the top, maybe 6 that bolt the inner fender/wheel arch to the bottom, then there are 2 nuts which hold the fender to the cab at the lowest and rear most part of the fender, don't forget these.

So yeah, basically what Ralph said. phillips and flathead screwdrivers, a full SAE socket set and some extensions, ratchet, 1/2" breaker bar for the bumper bolts might be helpful. This is all from memory, sorry I might be missing things.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thank you very much guys. I would pull my fender off first and then make a list but banking on a good fender in the wreckers isn’t always the best idea

Quick Reply: fender removal