1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No overdrive and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 07:13 PM
harrisriley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No overdrive and stalls

I have a 92 dakota 5.2L 2wd with a 46re transmission. The other day I went to take the truck with me back down to college since my car doesn't like the country roads where my school is. I leave the house and everything seems to be running like usual. Once I made it to the main road in my city I noticed that the RPM's were a little high. I finally make it to the highway and its going through the gears but stops at 3rd. I checked to see if i accidentally bumped my OD Button but it was fine. I pull off at the next exit and stop at the stoplight before turning right and the truck sputers and finally stalls. I put it in neutral and it fired back to life without hesitation. Put and gear and we are off again. I pull into a gas station and park but the truck doesn't stall. I shut it off and go check the throttle kick down cable that goes to the transmission knowingly having problems with delayed up shifts and downshifts in the past. everything was adjusted correctly and go on my way. get on the highway same problem shifts just fine all the way to 3rd and then no overdrive. at this point i pulled off at the next exit and decided to take the outer road home. get off the highway stalls again once stopped. at this point i started noticing a pattern. Anytime the truck got to 3rd gear or around the shift point for OD it stalled at the next stop but never stalled in first gear to a dead stop or second gear to a dead stop or even some very low RPM 3rd gear to dead stops. I'm not to sure as to what the cause is but i have down a little looking and it looks to be a number of things any where from a bad solenoid in the OD housing or a bad thermostat causing the trans to not heat up all the way and the PCM telling to not shift in to overdrive.
Any help or advice that could be provided is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Check and see if your trans even HAS a temp sensor. If it does, it should be on the forwardmost cooler line, very close to the trans. (do you have a trans temp lite in your gauge cluster? Does it 'test' when you turn the key to "on"? (not start)) Getting any codes?

Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 PM
harrisriley

as far as im aware it does not have a temp sensor but i would have to wait till im back in town to check that. i thought sometimes those might have an internal temp sensor like on the housing near the pan or sometimes even in the pan near the valve body. its only throwing a injection system code which comes and goes and that because of an intake manifold gasket leak.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Nope, no internal sensors on the hydraulic transmissions. The external sensor only came as part of the towing, or heavy duty package......

Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 PM
harrisriley

No trailer package or heavy duty set ups. just a base model 2wd truck with the 318.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh and if your truck is a 92 then it isn't a 46re, an rh maybe, a 42rh is more probable

Old 08-28-2018, 09:40 PM
harrisriley

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Oh and if your truck is a 92 then it isn't a 46re, an rh maybe, a 42rh is more probable
my bad. that is correct I have the complete dodge tech book from dodge made in 92 and still defaulted to trusting online sources and not the book made by the actual manufacture of the truck. so yes it is a 42rh

Old 09-14-2018, 02:59 PM
harrisriley

so problem is solved. the other weekend i replaced the intake manifold and plenum gaskets along with chasing down fuel injector o-ring leaks as i reassembled it. truck runs amazing now and the transmission and stalling problem had not reemerged in the past two weeks ive been driving it. my assumption is that since the motor wasn't running in top condition that the transmission wasn't reading the computer right and prevented it from going into over drive. But the why it stalled is still a mystery to me. anyways learn from me and check for vacuum or intake leaks before tearing into the transmission.

Quick Reply: No overdrive and stalls