1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hood won’t open

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 PM
kaczgune
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood won’t open

Of all the rookie things I’m asking I think this one feel the dumbest. I haven’t fully closed my hood in a few days. I was leaving bolts layed out so I just had the hood resting down but not latched.

Well I fully closed the hood last night, and now it will not open again. I am aware of the cable that is supposed to activate the latch. I pulled on it from under the dash, no luck. Then I crawled under the truck and I was able to see the cable right by the drivers side headlight. I had a horrible angle on it but I was able to pull on it. Still nothing. I found what appears to be the latching mechanics from the view up into the truck. But I don’t know how to get it to trip. You can see a lever, and a screw. I tried turning the screw to see what would happen. But I can’t get it to turn. Then I tried pushing the latch with my hand, didn’t budge. So I put a screw driver next to it and pried on it to try and move it. All it did was bend...I’m very lost on what to do here.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:21 PM
kaczgune
Amateur

Isn’t letting me upload the picture of the latch I was talking about when you look up from under your truck for some reason. My radiator is removed so not sure everyone can see it or not.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:24 PM
kaczgune
Amateur

When you look through the grill you can see the latch I saw from under the truck. It does look attached to the latch you normally push up to open the hood

Old 09-09-2018, 10:11 PM
kaczgune
Amateur

Been trying for 2 hours now to open the damn thing. Since I posted I have used a metal bar through the grille to try and push the latch. I’v done it from both driver and passenger side. Thing is not moving.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Follow the cable to the latch. The cable goes into a little arm, that you need to push to the side to release the latch. Should be able to do it with your fingers. Might need to have someone push down on the hood while you do it though. (relieves tension on the latch, makes it easier to release.) You may or may not be able to see it.... Gonna have to feel it.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:58 AM
kaczgune
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Follow the cable to the latch. The cable goes into a little arm, that you need to push to the side to release the latch. Should be able to do it with your fingers. Might need to have someone push down on the hood while you do it though. (relieves tension on the latch, makes it easier to release.) You may or may not be able to see it.... Gonna have to feel it.
I can’t follow the cable, it runs up into a hole. Once I figure out how to upload pictures again I’ll show the latch I found but can’t budge.

Quick Reply: Hood won’t open