1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Complete loss of right side tail light

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:31 PM
1202diesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete loss of right side tail light

hey guys,

i am chasing a prOblem, complete loss of passenger tail light functions. The turn signal column moves normal, but does not click for the passenger turn signal, nor do the 4 way lights or brake light work.

Ive played a little, and gonna try resetting the battery and checking fuses when I’m home from work.

Anyone else encounter this? I’m thinkin it’s either a fuse or the actual module at the shifter? But that wouldn’t explain why the brake lights are not working. Sounds like wiring to the tail light housing itself, like a broken positive or negative wire, that would explain complete loss of power right?

Best regards.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:05 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You need to take the FSM and see if the multi function switch (turn signal switch) is outputting the voltage.

You HAVE tried a new lamp, right? The most common failure is ... a burned out brake/turn filament on the dual filament bulb! (a 1157 for the Gen1s.)

And why are you futzing with the battery and fuses? You're aware that if one side works, those are probably right?

And *ahem* Since the brake lights go through the multi function switch, a failure there will cause no brake lights down either side, or both sides.

Again, check the factory service manual and the wiring diagrams.

RwP

Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM
1202diesel

Ralph,

good thoughts. Iv checked the fuses all are good, checked battery all good. Tried a bulb already and that didn’t do anything.

i did notice the front signal stays solid when I flick the passenger signal, rear still does nothing. That points to the flasher switch then I suppose?

Mechanicaly i I can do it all but electrical I am fairly green LOL

Old 09-18-2018, 06:25 PM
1202diesel

for crying out loud, the bulb I bought was a dud right from the factory out of the box. Tried another bulb and it’s all good now. Canadian tire sure was quick to replace that one before it became a bigger matter!

Once again Ralph thanks for The help and reminding me it CAN be that simple as bulb etc.

Cheers

Old 09-18-2018, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by 1202diesel
for crying out loud, the bulb I bought was a dud right from the factory out of the box. Tried another bulb and it’s all good now. Canadian tire sure was quick to replace that one before it became a bigger matter!

Once again Ralph thanks for The help and reminding me it CAN be that simple as bulb etc.

Cheers
A bad part new out of the box? Oh no, that never happens.........

Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 1202diesel

Cheers
Originally Posted by HeyYou
A bad part new out of the box? Oh no, that never happens.........
Heh. It's becoming all too common in my field of business - or my circus, as it's also known!

RwP

Quick Reply: Complete loss of right side tail light