1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

2wd lifting shackles don’t fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Radarsonwheels
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2wd lifting shackles don’t fit

Howdy

I want to get a couple inches of lift using longer shackles. I bought a set and the top bushing and sleeve is too wide to fit in the hanger and the metal sleeve is for a thicker bolt too.

Does anybody make one that actually fits my truck or is it time to get out the welder?

1989 2wd v6 std cab long bed.

thanks!
Radar

Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Rock Auto shows the same shackles for 89 as they do for my 94 and the stock shackles I got went right in. You might check with your supplier, they may have made a mistake in what they sent you. The more expensive shackle RA has is from Dayton Parts. Here's their site try calling them sounds like they probably have what you want or will make it. http://www.daytonparts.com/DPweb/App...ter_iframe.asp

Old 09-25-2018, 03:48 PM
Radarsonwheels
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got another set, same result

I got another set, different make. This one has almost identical dimensions. The sleeve in the top bushings (chassis side) takes a 9/16” or 14mm size bolt. I’m pretty sure the stock bolt was 1/2”.

I ordered some huge thick bolts from mcmaster carr and it will be easy enough to drill the shackle hanger a little bigger for the replacement shackles. I’m probably going to have to cobble something up with 3/16” plate but this seems wierd. I’m also going to have to do a combination of shaving the bushings and sleeve and bending the hanger a little to take the wider bushing.

The leaf spring lower shackle holes are also 9/16” or 14mm which is also too big and will need washers welded in or re-drilled plate welded up.

Anybody know why I’m running into this problem? Again my truck is an 89 2wd

thanks

Last edited by Radarsonwheels; 09-25-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2wd lifting shackles don’t fit