1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Where can i buy an intermediate steering shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 02:18 PM
coledurgan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can i buy an intermediate steering shaft?

Have looked everywhere online and i cannot find an intermediate steering shaft for my 93 dakota 3.9L 2wd. anybody know where i can get one??

Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

IDK I looked around recalling a post on here by someone and I found this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ate-shaft.html
His is a 88 but its first gen. IDK if there is a difference

Old 09-24-2018, 06:23 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

3 people I know of on this forum have done it, RalphP, crazy4x4rt and myself. We've all built our own out of a shaft and u joints from Borgeson(edit: Ralph used classic performance not Borgeson). No parts store replacements available.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 AM
coledurgan

after a days worth of research i UNFORTUNATELY concur with both of you.. Looks like building my own would be the best option.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 AM
tbugden
All Star

It's really easy, just need a hacksaw to cut the shaft to length then everything bolts up. Much more difficult to get the old one off.

Just sucks that it's pretty expensive but you don't wanna skimp on steering.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:56 AM
coledurgan

How well does it steer now that you have replaced vs before?

Old 09-25-2018, 01:11 PM
tbugden
All Star

Better. The stock u joints had a ton of play. you won't feel a difference probably unless your ujoints are pretty bad.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 PM
coledurgan

haha. i will post pics when i get home. I am confident if i keep driving it im going to lose steering going down the road.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:31 PM
tbugden
All Star

Originally Posted by coledurgan
haha. i will post pics when i get home. I am confident if i keep driving it im going to lose steering going down the road.
Thars the thing. I have a pretty low threshold for deciding that steering components need to be replaced. Brakes and steering are two things you want to have confidence in.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
It's really easy, just need a hacksaw to cut the shaft to length then everything bolts up. Much more difficult to get the old one off.

Just sucks that it's pretty expensive but you don't wanna skimp on steering.
I don't know if approx. $100 is "pretty expensive", compared to the other choice (finding cheap stuff to hit when the current linkage breaks!)

I'll add an angle grinder or sanding disc is not a bad idea, to rechamfer the end you cut so it slides in and out a bit better.

What one guy did on another forum is, after he got his linkage all right and adjusted, he took each set screw out one at a time, did a small drill right smackdab in the middle with a 1/8" drill bit (just enough to mark it!), pulled the shaft, and drilled a shallow countersink with a 1/4" drill bit, to give the set screw something to bite on.

I just crank'er down with LokTite Blue on the threads myself.

Aside: There's a spot on the tilt column bottom end where the old roll pin went that's just perfect to bit into with the set screw; the rack & pinion end was also just about perfect to bite into with the set screw there.

As to feel ... well, I'm a bit better aquainted with the bumps and expansion joints between the steel U-joints and the poly control arm bushings

But it's not objectionable; and a LOT better than the previous "I turned the wheel, why isn't it turn .. oh, THERE it goes!" IMO.
RwP

Quick Reply: Where can i buy an intermediate steering shaft?