1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 Dakota 2wd 5spd Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:33 PM
elkvis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not afraid to buy something from someone who has what I need. Critical components like the clutch are worth getting new if that's what it takes.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:26 AM
89hemidak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently swapping a 5.7 hemi into a 1989 dakota biggest hurdle I’ve run into is headersQUOTE=cd36c;3413190]They aren't done often but I'm sure it's doable. I haven't looked at the size of a hemi vs 318 but I think they are fairly close to one another.

The biggest hurdles Imo are going to be the motor mounts, probably need to fabricate something. And the engine controller, you're probably best off going custom with something like a megasquirt. I think that would be alot easier than trying to scab in a harness from a 1500. Unless you just went carbureted, but why would you want to do that.

Definately going to want to upgrade to a 8 3/4 or 9 1/4 rear end. I know the 9 1/4 has been done easy enough, not sure on 8 3/4.

One thing to watch out with your manual transmissions is shifter location. Ram manual transmissions typical end up with the shifter under the dash when put into Dakota's. I imagine if you steal one from say a challenger 6 speed you'll end up with it behind you but I don't honestly know, just throwing things out there to watch for.

Make sure you don't ignore things like suspension (gotta get that power down) and brakes (with a 9 1/4 swap should be able to get some nice beefy disc brakes back there, front will be more difficult).

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Old 04-22-2019, 08:55 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 89hemidak
Currently swapping a 5.7 hemi into a 1989 dakota biggest hurdle I’ve run into is headersQUOTE=cd36c;3413190]They aren't done often but I'm sure it's doable. I haven't looked at the size of a hemi vs 318 but I think they are fairly close to one another.

The biggest hurdles Imo are going to be the motor mounts, probably need to fabricate something. And the engine controller, you're probably best off going custom with something like a megasquirt. I think that would be alot easier than trying to scab in a harness from a 1500. Unless you just went carbureted, but why would you want to do that.

Definately going to want to upgrade to a 8 3/4 or 9 1/4 rear end. I know the 9 1/4 has been done easy enough, not sure on 8 3/4.

One thing to watch out with your manual transmissions is shifter location. Ram manual transmissions typical end up with the shifter under the dash when put into Dakota's. I imagine if you steal one from say a challenger 6 speed you'll end up with it behind you but I don't honestly know, just throwing things out there to watch for.

Make sure you don't ignore things like suspension (gotta get that power down) and brakes (with a 9 1/4 swap should be able to get some nice beefy disc brakes back there, front will be more difficult).

Good luck!
[/QUOTE]

How does the clearance look between the engine and the radiator? For magnum conversions, it requires removing the engine fan and putting a pusher fan in front of the radiator. (87-90) The 91 up have an extended nose.....
Also, consider the ford 8.8 rearend. I put one in my truck out of an explorer. Had to add 1.25 spacers to get back to stock width. I feel sure a better 8.8 selection is out there other then the one I used (width)

Quick Reply: 96 Dakota 2wd 5spd Project