1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1993 Dodge Dakota, Fast idle, heavy gas fumes, missing 1/2 tank fuel overnight

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 PM
Wani1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1993 Dodge Dakota, Fast idle, heavy gas fumes, missing 1/2 tank fuel overnight

Up front, I'm 70+ yrs old and this is my very first truck, a 1993 Dodge Dakota Extended cab, 2-wheel drive. That's the full extent of my savvy about the truck without hobbling out to look at the registration. This truck has had no issues in the few months I've owned it, had a front bumper to tailpipe checkup when I bought it, no issues found, has been very well maintained, one owner, but today when I cranked it, the engine was revving like a race car, nothing settled it down. Gas fumes almost overwhelmed me and I noticed that my gas gauge went from full to less than 1/4 tank overnight (I'd just filled it yesterday and went only about 8 miles after that). Is there some problem that includes ALL these symptoms, and could it catch fire if I drive it? I need to drive it 30+ miles for oncology appointment. Help anyone, please?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:10 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Look for signs of gas on the ground if you haven't already. IDK how else to give advice on your worry about a fire. I smell gas when mine starts and sometimes when I back up there is a stronger gas smell than I have had with other vehicles. But it's not a fire danger to me.
That said the gas gauges on these are notorious. It is a combined fuel pump sending unit in the fuel tank. If you get gas again to see how much it takes. You will know if it was siphoned or leaked or if the gauge is failing.
I strongly suspect the gauge is off. I used the trip odo to track my mileage so I kept it filled up enough until I got the bed off and fixed mine.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Wani1

Appreciated.

Last edited by Wani1; 10-24-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Wani1

1000 thanks for the response. Knowing I won't go up in flames on my way to the doc is nice. :-) All the best, you & yours.

Quick Reply: 1993 Dodge Dakota, Fast idle, heavy gas fumes, missing 1/2 tank fuel overnight