1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Drivetrain vibration / rumble

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull both axles and check for wear and damage, If the surface is good on the axles use the bearings and seals you already have. If there's some damage buff it down with some Emery cloth and go pickup a set of repair bearings. When you crack your diff cover open run the fluid through a paint filter. That'll help give you a better clue on the status of your diff bearings. It sounds like a mix of your wheel bearings and someone running along a wooden fence with a stick dragging on the fence.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:28 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Pull both axles and check for wear and damage, If the surface is good on the axles use the bearings and seals you already have. If there's some damage buff it down with some Emery cloth and go pickup a set of repair bearings. When you crack your diff cover open run the fluid through a paint filter. That'll help give you a better clue on the status of your diff bearings. It sounds like a mix of your wheel bearings and someone running along a wooden fence with a stick dragging on the fence.
That's exactly what I planned to do. The new bearings / seals should be here in a day, maybe too with the unexpected USPS closure for GHW Bush funeral, but I would expect them by Friday at the latest.

I checked the old fluid when I pulled the cover last time, it didn't have anything unusual in it. I didn't see any metal, I always look for it when I change gear oil. I will filter it this time to see if there's anything there but it hasn't been in there for more than a couple hundred miles. I'm planning on reusing it too.

I'm finishing up on the interior work, just painted the floor yesterday. The truck will be inside for a few more days so I will probably be able to pull and check at least one axle on Friday.

Steve

Quick Reply: Drivetrain vibration / rumble