1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

JS 96 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:06 PM
junemaes561
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JS 96 Dakota

Ok folks, picked up this truck and it has a few issues.
Brake light in dash on - scanner brought up C102A - Where is this sensor located?
Seat belts are torn out, replacements?
Horn - not working, can not get #6 fuse out to check.
Wipers - strange type of blade, do I have to replace the arms in order to get blades to fit? The blade is a Beam and the connector looks like a knuckle on it.
Transmission jumpy, likes faster speeds in order to shift.
Oh and fuel gage does not move. Put in 8 gal and it didn't move.
All info is helpful!

Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

C102A, left wheel speed sensor. Left wheel.
Junk yard for replacement seat belts. Or try eBay.
Need to get the fuse out to check. If it’s blown, it needs to be replaced.
Local parts store should be able to identify wiper blades and offer replacement.
Transmission service is likely needed. You don’t specify mileage.
Fuel sender. Possibly tied to the same fuse as the wipers.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:24 PM
junemaes561
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, mileage is 92000.
Thank you!

Old 11-18-2018, 08:42 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Belts can be ordered from several places if you don't worry about being OEM - I got a set from Wesco, https://www.wescoperformance.com/ Note: It turns out that you can't use the stiffener; the seat belt has to turn backwards due to the angle of the bolt eye and the location of the bolt in the Dakota. Works great; it just comes out bottom - up through the seat. If you've got buckets, it might be different.

Wiper blades are 18". It's a post style on the factory and the Dorman arms. Almost any parts store can offer a match; I usually order as part of a RockAuto order.

The 1996 factory service manual is available for a download here in the FAQ; I HIGHLY recommend downloading that so you can check the wiring needed. If the fuse is reluctant to be pulled, if it's a ATO you can prod the back with a volt meter and see if there's voltage both sides. If not, then just a big pair of pliers to pull it out instead of fingers.

I had to replace the horn in my 1988 because it was defective. I went ahead and added a couple of Ys to go to dual horns.

I was cheap - I bought a pair at first at Harbor Freight. I did a second set on Amazon.

It's a OBDII computer, so you can always use some real time scanning; I like to use a ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and a copy of Torque on my Android phone for OBDII scanning. Torque can be used for free, and the ELM327 adapters are available for well under $100 (sometimes under $20 on Amazon and Ebay). I'd HIGHLY recommend one of those so you can query the ECU and find out why the transmission is shifting funny, since it'll be a RE transmission with the ECU controlling shifting.

RwP

Quick Reply: JS 96 Dakota